|Titles|| Master of the Final Incantation |
Demon Lord of Forbidden Lore and Magic
Demon Lord of Forbidden Knowledge
|Areas of Concern|| Forbidden lore|
|Worshipers||Drow, evil humans, sorcerers, spirit naga|
|Domains||Chaos, Evil, Knowledge, Magic|
|Subdomains||Arcane, Demon, Memory, Thought|
|Symbol||Demonic face and snakes|
|Sacred Colors||Green, orange|
|Images of Abraxas|
Abraxas (pronounced a-BRAHK-zuhs) is called the Master of the Final Incantation, Demon Lord of Forbidden Lore and Magic. He is said to know countless magical formulae, spells and secrets, including the Final Incantation, a single word so powerful its speaking causes the annihilation of magic. He specializes in magic and lore associated with pain and devastation. He dwells in Diovengia, capital city of his abyssal realm of Pleroma.
Abraxas is utterly demonic in appearance; he possesses the head of a fanged, deformed bird with a tooth-filled mouth and lizard-like crest behind his head. In place of his legs, Abraxas has a pair of writhing vipers, each with its own head and venomous fangs. Abraxas's torso is humanoid with the exception of his viperous legs and demented head. His two arms end in large claws that wield a flail (Abraxas's favored weapon) and a shield. Some sources replace the flail with a whip that is forked like a serpent's tongue.
Abraxas is one of the oldest demons of the Abyss though he was never a Qlippoth (the creatures that existed within the Abyss before demons). Abraxas has watched throughout history and gathered dark arcane secrets from countless ages. It is said that Abraxas watched as the aboleths called down the meteor that was responsible for the Earthfall and began the Age of Darkness as well as countless other magics best left forgotten. It was through these methods that Abraxas gained access to the Final Incantation, the single word that can completely unmake magic.
Worshipers and followers
Abraxas is venerated by evil spell-casters and scholars seeking forbidden knowledge at any price, even the death of all those they loved. They tolerate no rivals and are cruel masters.
Abraxas is worshiped in the Darklands among the drow, especially those of House Azrinae who have access to darkened vaults filled with forgotten secrets. Abraxas' following is particularly strong in the city of Quantium, the capital of Nex, where his worshipers control a hidden library called Scrivenbough filled with rare books and scrolls. The demon lord will sometimes send even send the mysterious and feared xacarba demons to aid his most devoted followers by speaking secrets best forgotten.
- Wikipedia:Abraxas (real-world concept)
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 246. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 231. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 174. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs. (2010). Lords of Chaos, p. 9. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-250-0
- James Jacobs. (2009). Demon Lords of Golarion. Descent into Midnight, p. 55. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-131-2
- James Jacobs. (2009). Demon Lords of Golarion. Descent into Midnight, p. 57. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-131-2
- Rob McCreary. (2011). Ydersius. Sanctum of the Serpent God, p. 71. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-307-1
- Colin McComb. (2011). Faiths of Corruption, p. 18. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-375-0
- James Jacobs, Jason Nelson & F. Wesley Schneider. (2009). Bestiary. Descent into Midnight, p. 89. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-131-2