|Titles|| The Daemon Sultan,|
The Primal Chaos,
The Blind Formless Chaos That Lies Behind the Stars,
Blind Idiot God
|Worshipers||Old Cults, Cloakers, neothelids|
|Domains||Chaos, Destruction, Madness, Sun, Void|
|Subdomains||Catastrophe, Dark Tapestry, Entropy, Insanity, Nightmare, Stars|
|Symbol||Eight pointed star|
|Sacred Colors||Black, white|
Little is known of the being called Azathoth, also known as the Blind Formless Chaos That Lies Behind the Stars, the 'blind idiot god', the Daemon Sultan, or the Primal Chaos. It, for neither he nor she seems appropriate, is an Outer God belonging to a group of immensely powerful, yet inscrutable beings called the Gods of the Dark Tapestry. Azathoth is described as a gibbering mass of uncontrollable destructive power at the center of the universe. Azathoth is believed to be totally indifferent to the cosmos and may not even be aware of his own existence. Azathoth's symbol is an eight-pointed star.
Azathoth is indirectly linked to the destruction of the flying Shory city of Ulduvai during the early years of the Age of Destiny. Cultists of Azathoth were contacted to help unlock the mysteries of a recently discovered artifact known as the shoggoth stone. Upon activation, the shoggoth stone transformed nearly the entire city into heaps of undulating, rotting viscera.
Azathoth resides in what is known as the Dark Tapestry: the darkness between the stars where inhabitants of Golarion believe true madness lies. Some claim Azathoth's home is at the centre of the Material Plane and that fact is proof that the Primal Chaos is the source of everything in existence. At his home may be found Azathoth's Court: a mysterious coterie of an unknown number of powerful lesser gods that orbit Azathoth like planets orbit a sun, singing mad songs while listening to Azathoth's gibberish.
Church of Azathoth
Despite Azathoth's seeming indifference to everything, including any folk mad enough to worship Azathoth, the Primal Chaos has and does have cultists. These are often power seekers wanting the destructive force of Azathoth to work for them and their schemes, but Azathoth's carelessness means this is a perilous endeavour easily prone to backfire; maybe this is the reason for the collapse of the Shory empire. Azathoth was worshiped in ancient times by small groups in the Shory empire of Garund until that empire collapsed.
The worship of Azathoth is largely undocumented among humans in modern times, although some cloaker and neothelid communities worship it. The only known temple to the power is in the ruins of the broken city of Ulduvai in southern Garund's Shattered Range.
- ↑ Wikipedia article on Azathoth. Azathoth was created by H. P. Lovecraft.
- ↑ Colin McComb. (2011). Faiths of Corruption, p. 20. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-375-0
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 James Jacobs. (2011). Cults of the Dark Tapestry. Wake of the Watcher, p. 64. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-311-8
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Wolfgang Baur. (2008). Crucible of Chaos, p. 2. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-074-2
- ↑ James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 235. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- ↑ James Jacobs et al. (2009). Dungeon Denizens Revisited, p. 12. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-172-5
- ↑ James Jacobs and Greg A. Vaughan. (2008). Into the Darklands, p. 48. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-140-4
- ↑ Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 245. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1