|CR||By class level|
|Environment||Warm forests or marshes|
|Images of gripplis|
Source: Bestiary 2, pg(s). 149
Gripplis are small humanoids typically resembling tree frogs, and have slight but very agile frames. They stand just over two feet in height, but possess remarkable agility and the ability to climb rapidly. Gripplis are normally brightly coloured like the tropical tree frog they resemble, though their bright colour fades as they age. They typically weigh just over thirty pounds.
Gripplis reproduce via egg laying, and a newly hatched grippli takes less than a year to mature to adult size. Unless they meet a violent end, which considering the dangerous environments they inhabit is very possible, gripplis can reach 60 years of age. They typically hunt and eat giant insects as well as mundane fruit.
Habitat and society
Gripplis normally form primitive societies deep within tropical jungles or marshland. Despite their reclusive nature, they normally trade with neighbouring societies for metals and gemstones that they cannot obtain themselves. While some might speak Common, among their own kind, they speak their own language called Grippli.
One of the most sacred roles amongst most grippli tribes is that of the fiend keeper, a type of medium who serves as a vessel to keep evil spirits from causing any further harm. Once infused with this evil spirit, the fiend keeper then undertakes a variety of good deeds to try and cleanse the spiritual stain of the dark entity within. The fiend keeper can sometimes use the blasphemous power of these evil spirits for their own good end. This role is passed down from generation to generation within the tribe.
Gripplis are common in Garund, especially in the Mwangi Expanse and the Sodden Lands. With the rise of the Angazhan-worshipping charau-ka across the Expanse, most of the grippli tribes have migrated westward toward the Sodden Lands, and many now dwell in the Kaava Lands.
Gripplis also live in the Valashmai Jungle of Tian Xia. It is from the ruins that dot these deadly jungles that researchers have gleaned accounts of the grippli race's origin—they were supposedly imported to Golarion from across the stars. The gripplis of Valashmai exhibit a savage strength for their small size, this can be partially attributed to their war painters who are able to apply mystical pigments to their fellow warriors.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Wolfgang Baur et al. (2010). Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 2 (First Edition), p. 149. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-268-5
- Alexander Augunas, John Compton, and Crystal Frasier. (2016). Blood of the Beast, p. 8. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-901-1
- Alexander Augunas, John Compton, and Crystal Frasier. (2016). Blood of the Beast, p. 2. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-901-1
- Benjamin Bruck, et al. (2015). Inner Sea Races, p. 188. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-722-2
- James Jacobs, Dave Gross, Rob McCreary. (2011). Dragon Empires Gazetteer, p. 40. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-379-8
- Alexander Augunas, John Compton, and Crystal Frasier. (2016). Blood of the Beast, p. 10. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-901-1