- This article covers the computer roleplaying game (CRPG). For the Pathfinder Adventure Path, see Kingmaker (adventure path).
Pathfinder: Kingmaker is an isometric computer RPG developed by Owlcat Games and published by Deep Silver, which was released on September 25, 2018. The project was officially announced on May 17, 2017 by both Owlcat and Paizo Inc. Like the Kingmaker Adventure Path upon which the game is based, Pathfinder: Kingmaker features hours of adventure, including exploration, combat, and kingdom-building.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker was developed by Owlcat Games, with narrative design by Chris Avellone. Alexander Mishulin serves as the game's Creative Director; Victor Surkov is its Art Director; Alexey Drobyshevsky is the game's Technical Director; while Oleg Shpilchevsky is Owlcat Games' Studio Head.
In June 6, 2017, Owlcat launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise $500,000 in additional funds to expand the scope of the project. The campaign concluded on July 11 with a total of $909,057 raised and 18,351 backers. In addition to reaching their primary funding goal, the campaign also reached five stretch goals, resulting in the following additions to the game: a camping feature ($550k); the addition of the magus as a playable class ($600k); a new story chapter above and beyond the original six chapters of Kingmaker and a Mac & Linux version of the final game ($700k); at least three archetypes or alternative features per class ($800k); a new, goblin companion ($900k). Owlcat continued to take preorders and backer pledges after the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign, counting those funds toward further stretch goals. Before they cut off additional content in the summer of 2018, they had unlocked an additional stretch goal of an additional playable race; a backer poll determined that this additional race would be aasimar.
The game released internationally on September 25, 2018 for Mac and PC on Steam and GOG. It remained number one on the Steam charts for 6 days until it was unseated by Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. In its first week of release on Steam, the game had an average active player count of over 16,000, with a peak player count of over 22,500 on Sunday, September 30.
The game debuted to mostly positive reviews, with players giving it a Metacritic score of 8.3 in its first week. Of the first 2,300 user reviews on Steam, over 70% were positive. Professional reviewers were slightly more critical, with one claiming the developers played it too safe to stand out from other titles in the genre.
The following characters will be available in the game as companions to the baron/baroness.
- Owlcat Games website
- Kickstarter campaign
- Pathfinder: Kingmaker on Steam
- Strategy Guide and Walkthrough on GamerGuides.com
- Paizo Inc.. (May 17, 2017). First CRPG Pathfinder Game in Development by Owlcat Games and Game Designer Chris Avellone, Paizo News.
- Owlcat Games. (May 17, 2017). Pathfinder: Kingmaker - the first CRPG in the Pathfinder universe, owlcatgames.com.
- Owlcat Games. (July 12, 2017). Pathfinder: Kingmaker by Owlcat Games, Kickstarter.
- No author. (October 3, 2018). Pathfinder: Kingmaker, SteamCharts.
- No author. (October 3, 2018). Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Metacritic.