|Pathfinder Adventure Path #13: Shadow in the Sky|
|Author(s)||Greg A. Vaughan et al.|
|Publisher||Paizo Publishing, LLC|
|Price|| Print: $19.99 |
|Released||August 14, 2008|
|Type||Adventure Path issue|
|Rules set||D&D 3.5|
|Series|| Pathfinder Adventure Path #13|
Second Darkness 1 of 6
|Follows||Crown of Fangs|
|Precedes||Children of the Void|
|Artwork from Shadow in the Sky|
Shadow in the Sky, an adventure by Greg A. Vaughan with support articles by E. Jordan Bojar, Gwen Page, and Mike Selinker, a set-piece adventure by Tim Hitchcock, and fiction by Jay Thompson, is the first chapter in the Second Darkness adventure path and was released on August 14, 2008. As with Burnt Offerings, a special Gen Con edition of this book was published with an alternate cover.
|“|| Watch the Skies!A foul omen looms over the city of Riddleport. What could the dark blot over the city of swindlers and thieves mean? Apocalyptic whispers fill the street, priests search for signs from their gods, and rumours of strange happenings shake the city. Could this ominous portent be the work of a scheming crimeboss, mysterious cyphermages, or a petty pirate lord? Or does it prophesize some new menace come to Golarion? A step into Riddleport's high-stakes underworld of sin and debauchery reveals that not all in the pirate's paradise is as it seems. Only PCs can foil a terrible new plot that reaches from below to take fold of Varisia's city of sin.
This volume of Pathfinder begins the Second Darkness Adventure Path, and includes:
Shadow in the Sky kicks off the third Pathfinder Adventure Path campaign—Second Darkness—and presents a detailed gazetteer of the intrigue-filled streets of Riddleport, details the Gold Goblin gambling hall and several of Riddleport's most popular games of chance, and presents a half dozen new monsters native to the Riddleport region. It also contains a bonus adventure by Tim Hitchcock that presents a typical Riddleport thieves' guild as well as the continued adventures of Eando Kline, pathfinder.
Foreword: "…And I Feel Fine" by James Jacobs (4)
- James Jacobs launches the Second Darkness adventure path with a tip of the hat to Greg A. Vaughan and even lets this volume's primary author illuminate his intentions with the adventure. Since this volume also marks the debut of the drow in the Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting, James also provides some insight into their history and their role—as villains—in the setting.
1. "Shadow in the Sky" by Greg A. Vaughan (6)
- Strange things are happening in Riddleport. A dark blot hangs in the sky over the city, and claims of bizarre goings-ons and apocalyptic prophecies fill the streets. Could these peculiar events be tied to the Golden Goblin's diabolically themed "Cheat the Devil; Take His Gold" competition? Or are more nefarious works afoot in the pirate's paradise? Find out in the first adventure of Pathfinder's new Adventure Path: Second Darkness!
2. "Riddleport: City of Cyphers" by Greg A. Vaughan (48)
- Dare to enter the cutthroat city of Riddleport, home to pirates, criminals, and shysters of all sorts. From the choking smoke of the Gasforges to the dizzying heights of the Cyphergate, fortunes change swiftly in Varisia's city of sin.
- Roll the bones and test your luck! Enter Riddleport's premier gambling hall, meet its patrons, and learn its games—but keep an eye on your coin purse. What Riddleport's gamblers can't take by luck they often take by force!
4. "St. Caspieran's Salvation" by Tim Hitchcock (64)
- An unassuming chapel becomes a hideout for a gang of local thugs and scheming thieves. Can your PCs discern criminal from clergyman?
5. "Fear in a Handful of Rust" (Pathfinder's Journal) by Jay Thompson (72)
- Eando Kline's journey into the darkness begins. The world of light has proven treacherous, but what new terrors await the pathfinder in the mysterious depths of the Darklands?
6. "Bestiary" by Greg A. Vaughan (78)
7. "The Darkness Has Come" by Pathfinder Staff (88)
- This brief overview of the Second Darkness adventure path provides GMs with an idea of what's to come.
Shadow in the Sky
The elves of the Mierani Forest have been hiding something from outside eyes for hundreds of years, but now, this sinister secret has escaped. What at first seems to be a sudden uprising in unsanctioned banditry in the Riddleport hinterlands is in fact something altogether more menacing—the dark elves have come to Varisia. Yet the threat presented by the drow from below may be nothing compared to a new threat from the skies above. Can a new group of heroes save the world from the second darkness?
St. Caspieran's Salvation
The first Set Piece presents a Riddleport thieves' den insidiously hidden beneath the guise of a rundown chapel. Forced to distinguish scheming swindlers from the truly needy, the PCs need to wade through a crowd of questionable castoffs to uncover the misdeeds rooted amid the hostel's good work.