|Images of undead|
Source: Bestiary 2, pg(s). 305
Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces, chiefly negative energy. Undead can be of a simple mindless type, such as skeletons or zombies, or quasi-deities such as the most powerful liches. Colloquially, undead may be referred to a the walking dead.
|This page is a stub. You can help us by .|
Types of undead
Undead can be categorized in four ways:
Undead on Golarion
|This section is a stub. You can help us by .|
In the Inner Sea region
Creating and transporting undead creatures is illegal in most nations of the Inner Sea region (with Geb being the most prominent exception). The state of undeath is considered a severe moral crime as it violates both a person's body and soul.
A network of smugglers attempts to circumvent these prohibitions, however, as the mindless undead make for tireless and inexpensive unskilled laborers; a humanoid skeleton can cost as little as 45 gold pieces. Such black-market undead are typically created by profiteering arcane necromancers rather than those that already serve cults or worshipers of evil deities, or hard-to-control spontaneously created undead.
The practice of necrografting, also illegal outside of Geb, replaces living body parts or organs with those of undead bodies, often to grant the recipient some of the donor's physical or supernatural abilities—or more nefariously, to warp the unwilling in horrific experiments.
- The singular and plural of undead are the same.
- Paizo Staff. (2010). Bestiary 2, p. 305. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-268-5
- Chris Willrich. (2014). The Dagger of Trust, p. 11. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-614-0
- Dennis Baker et al. (2014). Undead Slayer's Handbook, Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-604-1
- Ron Lundeen, Jason Nelson, David N. Ross, and David Schwartz. (2015). Black Markets, p. 14. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-789-5