Latest revision as of 15:39, 23 January 2019
|Areas of Concern|| Accidental death|
|Worshipers||Bitter sufferers of tragedy or loss|
|Domains||Death, Destruction, Evil, Plant, War|
|Subdomains||Blood, Catastrophe, Daemon, Decay, Murder, Undead|
|Favored Weapon||Heavy pick|
|Symbol||Pick axe made of a femur, a human skull & a large rib|
|Sacred Colors||Ivory, red|
|Images of Zyphus|
Source: Inner Sea Faiths, pg(s). 88–93
Zyphus (pronounced ZIE-fess or ZAI-FUSS) is the malignant god of accidental death. A bitter enemy of the goddess Pharasma, he is worshiped by small cults throughout Golarion. These groups foment tragedy and bring about accidents in the hopes of strengthening the power of their god. His unholy symbol is a pick made from a human skull, rib, and femur.
|This page is a stub. You can help us by .|
Followers of the Grim Harvestman believe that the god arose from the first maddened soul to die a pointless death. It is written that since that time, every mortal that dies in the same meaningless way is destined to be absorbed by Zyphus after death. This puts him in direct competition with the goddess Pharasma, and his followers believe that once he has acquired enough souls he will be able to engineer the death of Pharasma herself. Cults of Zyphus believe that even though the deaths they help arrange are not truly accidental, these souls are still dedicated to strengthen their patron.
Zyphus' divine realm is located in a massive field of open tombs within Bloodrot, Urgathoa's home in Abaddon. He originally received it through a deal with Charon, and the daemons largely leave him alone.
Zyphus views Urgathoa as his mentor, and shares many interests with her. He is trying to convince Naderi that chance can always take away one's loved one, in the process turning her toward evil. Most other gods view him as more of an annoyance than an actual threat; he is particularly opposed by Abadar, Torag, Brigh, and especially Pharasma. His cults sometimes work alongside daemon worshippers, but are always wary of them.
Church of Zyphus
Zyphen cults are widespread, although never large in numbers. They worship in abandoned graveyards that are no longer under the protection of the Lady of Graves. His symbols are often found on arches or vaulted roofs of active graveyards as well but, used in this way, they are meant to ward off the Grim Harvestman. Recently, Zyphen cults have been active in Taldor.
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 247. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- Sean K Reynolds. (2014). Zyphus. Palace of Fallen Stars, p. 70. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-711-6
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 172. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 230. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Robert Brookes et al. (2018). Planar Adventures, p. 198–199. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-044-6
- Todd Stewart. (2011). Horsemen of the Apocalypse, p. 11. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-373-6
- Robert Brookes et al. (2016). Zyphus. Inner Sea Faiths, p. 90. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-825-0
- Michael Kenway. (2011). Among the Gods, p. 3. Paizo Publishing, LLC.