|Type||Minor artifact (assumed), wondrous item|
|Affiliation||Cult of Zyphus|
Source: Among the Living, pg(s). 3-4
The Zyphus Stone is a necromantic artifact dedicated to Zyphus, the deity of accidental death. Its main power is the creation of Zyphus zombies, undead creatures capable of spawning zombies by killing and consuming them. Its seeming intent is to allow followers of Zyphus to continue honoring their god after death. The Zyphus Stone is currently in the possession of the Pathfinder Society in Absalom.
Legend has that the Zyphus Stone was buried by Azlanti humans beneath what was then the village of Oppara in Taldor over 6,000 years ago. They hid it away for further study, intrigued by its power, yet fearing its ability to create a plague of zombies, but eventually abandoned it.
A cleric of Zyphus named Fel Bustrani recently learned of the existence of the Zyphus Stone, and determined that it was buried in a chamber below the House of the Immortal Son, a former temple of Aroden that had become Oppara's most famous opera house. He tricked the Pathfinder Bodriggan Wuthers to help him access the building and begin excavations beneath it. The two eventually accessed the Chamber of the Stone where the artifact was located in 4708 AR, whereupon Bustrani activated it and killed Wuthers, turning him into a Zyphus zombie.
Other than the creation of Zyphus zombies, the Zyphus Stone also has the ability to lock the doors of the building in which it is located and creating a dimensional anchor-type effect that bars extradimensional movement in and out of (but not within) the structure.
- Joshua J. Frost. (2008). Among the Living, p. 3-4. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Joshua J. Frost. (2008). Among the Living, p. 6, 8. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Joshua J. Frost. (2010). Among the Dead, p. 3. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Joshua J. Frost. (2008). Among the Living, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Joshua J. Frost. (2008). Among the Living, p. 15. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- This fact leads some to believe that the item is not an artifact at all, but simply an incredibly powerful magical item.