- See also: Inner Sea region
The Inner Sea is one of the most heavily traveled and populated bodies of water in Golarion. Formed when the Starstone fell to earth in -5293 AR, reshaping the face of the planet, the Inner Sea rests between Avistan and Garund. Before Earthfall, the two continents had been joined by a land bridge. The impact collapsed the connection, allowing water from the Arcadian Ocean to flow in.
The sea is now separated from the Arcadian Ocean by the Hespereth Strait and the Arch of Aroden, which is currently under Chelaxian control. To the east it connects to the Obari Ocean between the nations of Osirion and Qadira.
The Inner Sea is a cradle of the human race, and six of the most powerful nations on Golarion—Absalom, Andoran, Cheliax, Osirion, Qadira, and Taldor—lie on its shores. Naval battles between these emerging world powers are commonplace. There is abundant life beneath the waves as well, including societies of cecaelias, gillmen, locathahs, merfolk, and tritons, as well as monsters like aboleths, devilfish, and grindylows.
Places of interest
- Arch of Aroden: Former bridge connecting western Rahadoum to Cheliax; now partially destroyed.
- Aspo Bay: Andoran bay upon which the country's foremost port, Augustana, is situated.
- Bay of Deng: Chelish bay into which the Brastle River empties.
- Bay of Solva: Chelish bay into which the River Iseld empties.
- Cape Erebus: Chelish coastline located between the Bay of Deng and Aspo Bay; home of Citadel Krane.
- Cape of Hope: Southernmost point in Andoran, home to the towns of Lavieton and Cyremium
- Cliffs of Fury: Chelish coastline between the Jewelcoast Cape and the Bay of Solva.
- Cliffs of Kusha-ta-Pahk: Osirian coastline between the Junira River and the Alamein Peninsula.
- Coast of Graves: Osirian coastline east of the Alamein Peninsula.
- Gemcrown Bay: Chelish bay on whose coast lies the country's former capital, Westcrown.
- Hespereth Strait: Narrow channel connecting the Inner Sea with the Arcadian Ocean; formerly spanned by the Arch of Aroden.
- Jagged Saw: Taldoran coastline that stretches between the cities of Cassomir and the capital, Oppara.
- Jewelcoast Cape: Chelish peninsula east of Gemcrown Bay.
- Lostmast Cape: Chelish cape located between the towns of Hinji and Westcrown.
- Path of Salt: Rahadoumi coastline located between the cities of Khari and Manaket.
- Saray Coast: Qadiran coastline between the flows of the Jalrune and the Pashman Rivers.
- Star Bay: Forms border between Andoran and Taldor; the mighty Sellen River empties into it.
- Swells of Gozreh: Osiriani coastline just north of the capital city of Sothis.
- Bika-Rano Isle: Small Rahadoumi island east of Manaket.
- Isle of Erran: Island just north of the Isle of Kortos.
- Glasswall Island: Small Thuvian island north of Merab.
- Isle of Kortos: Largest island in the Inner Sea; home to the city of Absalom.
- Wyvern's Roost: Westernmost Thuvian island.
- Yanimere Island: Small island off the coast of Qadira, just north of the Obari Ocean.
Nations on the Inner Sea
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 32. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Rob Lazzaretti. (2011). Inner Sea Poster Map Folio, p. 1. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Adam Daigle, Patrick Renie, F. Wesley Schneider, and James L. Sutter. (2012). Oceans of Golarion. Raiders of the Fever Sea, p. 67. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-409-2
- Greg A. Vaughan. (2012). Raiders of the Fever Sea. Raiders of the Fever Sea, p. 59-63. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-409-2