|Demographics||93% human, 3% halfling, 2% half-orc, 1% elf, 1% half-elf|
|Ruler||Mayor Jonark Uptal|
Source: Crypt of the Everflame, pg(s). 26
Kassen is a small town on the Tourondel River in the Fangwood of Nirmathas. It is a relatively close-knit settlement with origins that stretch back to the year 4522 AR, when the town's founder, Ekat Kassen, grew tired of life as an adventurer and retired there.
When established in the year 4522 AR by former adventurer Ekat Kassen, the settlement that would become known simply as Kassen was named Kassen's Hold. Located where it was on the river, Kassen's Hold became a stopover for those traveling the river to and from the city of Skelt.
Death of Ekat Kassen
In 4535 AR a man by the name of Asar Vergas arrived in Kassen's Hold. Claiming to be a former adventuring companion of the town's founder, he felt Kassen had cheated him before they had parted ways. Vergas and a group of mercenaries raided the settlement for a period of two months before their camp was located. Kassen mounted an attack on the raider's stronghold, slaying Vergas and scattering the mercenaries before succumbing to wounds received during the fighting. Those killed on both sides were buried in the crypt that served as the site of the battle.
Crypt of the Everflame
- In the year 4709 AR looters entered the tomb housing the remains of Ekat Kassen and those that died in his fateful battle with Asar Vergas, their actions resulting in the animation of the remains housed within. The event remained undetected until villagers partaking in the rite of passage known as the Quest of the Everflame journeyed to the crypt and, ultimately, returned the restless dead to inactivity.
Kassen can be found in the Fangwood of Nirmathas, its location giving rise to substantial lumber industry in the community. It sits on the banks of the Tourondel River, allowing transport of logs directly to Lake Encarthan.
A small river barge traveling the Tourondel River needs approximately three days from Kassen to enter Lake Encarthan and four more days to reach Tamran sailing within a mile of the lake shore. Such a barge is the Black Mist run by captain Walren.
Points of interest
- Seven Silvers, a comfortable two-story inn and tavern
- Woodcutter's Guildhall
- Temple of Erastil
- Town Watch Headquarters
- Renet's Steel
- Arnama's Home
- Sir Dramott's house
- Braggar's Shop
- Vargidan Estate
- Holgast's Tower
- Mayor Uptal's Home
- Ilimara's Home
- Jason Bulmahn. (2008). Crypt of the Everflame, p. 3. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-174-9
- Jason Bulmahn. (2008). Crypt of the Everflame, p. 26-31. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-174-9
- Jason Bulmahn. (2009). Masks of the Living God, p. 4. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-207-4