|Denizens||Animate dreams, night hags, phase spiders, xill, undead|
|Description||Transitive plane that links the planes of the Inner Sphere|
Source: The Inner Sea World Guide, pg(s). 239
As it intrudes into all of its neighbors, the Astral Plane can be used for travel between them. On the plane's borders, a traveler can peer into the neighboring reality, although the view is obscured as if looking through a cloudy pane of glass.
This plane has very little of what most natives of Golarion would call geography. It is a place of ever-shifting mists with little hard matter to obstruct the traveler. Near its borders, one can peer into the neighboring planes and easily move back and forth, provided one has that ability. Travelers from these other planes often momentarily step into the Ethereal Plane via magic to bypass dangers or solid matter. There are also places within the Ethereal Plane where the borders between the planes grow thin due to natural variation or the effects of magic.
Connection to dreams
When mortals of the Material Plane dream, their consciousnesses drift into the Ethereal, warping its reality within a place called the Dimension of Dreams. Imagined places and people are created in tangible forms out of the misty substance of the plane. Because of this, the fabrications of nightmares can be a threat to travelers on the Ethereal Plane, as these places and creatures act in a manner consistent with the dreamer's worst fears. The indigenous night hags prey on dreamers, collecting these dreams and haunting the dreamers until they have captured their souls.
Places of interest
There are rumors and legends that there are additional portals within the Ethereal Plane connecting it to a variety of places, including other worlds within the Material or Shadow planes and places within the Outer Sphere. Other myths tell of a pocket plane created by the gods in which they deposited their beloved mistakes of creation.
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 180. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 239. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Jason Bulmahn et al. (2015). Occult Adventures, p. 240. Paizo Inc.
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 228. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Todd Stewart. (2009). The Great Beyond: A Guide to the Multiverse, p. 11-12. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-167-1
- Paizo Staff. (2009). Pathfinder RPG Bestiary, p. 215. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-183-1
- Todd Stewart. (2009). The Great Beyond: A Guide to the Multiverse, p. 50. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-167-1