- See also: Languages of the Great Beyond#Abyssal
Some believe that Abyssal was the first language developed by the inhabitants of the Outer Sphere, although this is very difficult to prove given its incredible rate of linguistic change. Abyssal is the native language of the demons of the Abyss, although it is also spoken by many devils, daemons, or others who have frequent dealings with races of the lower realms.
Abyssal on Golarion
Abyssal is spoken on Golarion in the Worldwound, a region in northern Avistan with a direct connection to the Abyss that is overrun by demons. In Tian Xia, Abyssal is most commonly spoken among the oni and other evil spirits. It is also a very useful language when traveling through the drow-controlled areas of the Darklands realm of Sekamina, given the dark elves proclivity for demonic pacts and servants.
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 251. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 220. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 198. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- James Jacobs, Dave Gross, Rob McCreary. (2011). Dragon Empires Gazetteer, p. 49. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-379-8
- Robert Brookes, Eleanor Ferron, Michelle Jones, Alex Riggs, and Nicholas Wasko. (2017). Heroes of the Darklands, p. 3. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-936-3