|Environment||Tropical forests and urban|
|Images of dream spiders|
Source: Edge of Anarchy, pg(s). 82-83
Dream spiders are both highly prized and feared for their hallucination-inducing venom. Due to the toxin's role in the creation of the drug shiver, these vermin have been transported far beyond their native habitat and can be found in many populated areas.
A dream spider is usually the size of a small human child, and can be identified by a blue and yellow stripped pattern on their abdomen. They nest in dark, out-of-the-way locations; dream spider webs can be identified by the iridescent properties of the strands. They can grow up to 40 feet in legspan.
Though it serves the same general purposes as those of most spiders, contact with a dream spider's web can also result in the hallucinogenic effect for which the creature is known.
The native peoples of the Mwangi Expanse consider dream spiders to be the descendants of Jalkara Kal, the Prince of Dreams, and the effects of their venom have not gone unnoticed by visitors to the region. Though usually illegal, trade in dream spiders is often very profitable. As a result, these creatures have spread throughout Golarion.
Dream spiders that escape captivity seem to readily adapt to urban environments, resulting in the appearance of wild dream spider populations well outside of their natural habitat. They nest near books whenever possible, and many libraries are infested by the vermin.
Though the blue and yellow dream spider is the easiest to catch, it is not the only variety to inhabit Golarion's jungles.
- Deatheye Dancer
- These black and purple spiders are known for their powerful bite and unique venom, which causes its victims to break into spasms in addition to experiencing the normal hallucinations.
- Nightmare Spiders
- Significantly larger than their more common cousins, and possessing a much more potent venom to match, these arachnids are recognizable by black and red markings on the abdomen.
- Nicolas Logue, & Mike McArtor. (2008). Bestiary. Edge of Anarchy, p. 82. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-088-9
- Nicolas Logue, & Mike McArtor. (2008). Bestiary. Edge of Anarchy, p. 83. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-088-9
- Jesse Benner and Jason Nelson. (2010). Bestiary. Vaults of Madness, p. Inside Back Cover. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-275-3