|Aura (1E)||Overwhelming necromancy|
|Caster Level (1E)||20th|
Source: More Magic of Thassilon, pg(s). 2
Runelord Zutha divined Thassilon's impending fall and made contingencies to survive. He bound his essence into an eldritch book, the Gluttonous Tome, as a phylactery and then split it into three volumes—the Kardosian Codex, the Bone Grimoire, and the Black Book.
Histories and reunifications
Zutha entrusted the three volumes to his three greatest servants. Thassilon's destruction was more complete than Zutha anticipated, however, and the three books were scattered to the farthest corners of Avistan. If the three books are ever brought together, whoever possesses the reconstituted Gluttonous Tome will be possessed by the spirit of the undead runelord and Zutha will be free to plague the world once more. Each book also includes a golem manual as an appendix.
The Pathfinder Bhoston Jola Rould sought the Gluttonous Tome. Benigo Ygresta and Varian Jeggare each have possessed the Kardosian Codex, and former Pathfinder Eando Kline had once possessed the Bone Grimoire. The Black Book once lay in a treasure hoard within the Mindspin Mountains peak known as the Sleeper.
In 4715 AR, Varian rebuilt the Gluttonous Tome under Zutha's influence, but Jeggare's companions Eando and Radovan Virholt freed him from Zutha, and together they defeated the risen runelord before he could properly reconstruct his body. They later scattered the Gluttonous Tome once again. However, this brief return was enough for Zutha to re-establish a foothold in the world and for his influence to fester within all fragments.
Lord of Runes tells the story of Varian Jeggare's reunification of the Gluttonous Tome's volumes.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Dave Gross. (2015). Lord of Runes, Tor Books. ISBN 978-0-7653-7451-6
- Brian Cortijo, Owen K.C. Stephens, et al. (2008). More Magic of Thassilon: Relics of the Runelords, p. 2. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Richard Pett. (2018). Runeplague. Runeplague, p. 59. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-079-8
- James Jacobs. (2018). The Runelord Legacy. Secrets of Roderic's Cove, p. 77. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-062-0
- Craig Shackleton. (2009). Treasures of the Pathfinders. What Lies in Dust, p. 53. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-197-8
- James Jacobs. (2018). The Runelord Legacy. Secrets of Roderic's Cove, p. 79. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-062-0
- Richard Pett. (2018). Runeplague. Runeplague, p. 3. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-079-8