The sawtooth sabre's blade is curved like a normal sabre, but instead of a straight edge, the cutting edge is serrated, allowing deeper wounds. This grisly weapon weighs only 2 pounds and measures about 3½ feet from hilt to point, another advantage for an assassin trying to sneak into and out of a guarded area.
The sawtooth sabre is difficult to master—although those untrained in its subtleties fare well enough by simply wielding it as they would a longsword—but its light weight allows it to be wielded with finesse rather than brute strength. Many of the Red Mantis fight with a sawtooth sabre in each hand, in a style reminiscent of a praying mantis, and some Red Mantis assassins can weave the blade in a hypnotic pattern to help them kill their target.
The Red Mantis have no objection to the use of the weapon by non-members. Its presence serves as a useful reminder of the organisation's might, and since not everyone who uses one is an assassin it helps members to keep their identity secret when out of uniform. It is also the holy weapon of the clan's god, Achaekek, and featured on the flag of the Red Mantis-dominated city of Ilizmagorti.
- James Jacobs and Mike McArtor. (2008). Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide, p. 13. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-087-2
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 290-291. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Paris Crenshaw, Ron Lundeen, and David Schwartz. (2015). Melee Tactics Toolbox, p. 16. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-732-1
- Nicolas Logue, & James Jacobs. (2008). The Red Mantis. Escape from Old Korvosa, p. 70. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-092-6
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 115. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Rob McCreary. (2009). Ilizmagorti. Cities of Golarion, p. 27. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-200-5
- James Jacobs, Kevin Kulp, Rob McCreary, and Owen K.C. Stephens. (2010). City of Seven Spears. City of Seven Spears, p. 46. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-274-6