The Gorilla King, or Silverback King, is the title of the feral monarch of the city of Usaro in the Mwangi Expanse. It is believed that since the founding of the city many centuries ago the King has always been a gorilla, magically awakened into sentience to become the most honoured of Angazhan's servants in Golarion.
In fact, the truth is even more sinister.
Those who consider themselves worthy of the office must make their way to the top of the pyramid-shaped palace at the heart of dread Usaro. There they must touch Angazhan's totem, a granite representation of the head of a demonic ape. This feat is traditionally only achieved after stepping over the dead body of the current incumbent; it is not clear what would happen if a more worthy candidate presented himself to the totem while the current Gorilla King is still alive.
It appears that the qualities Anghazan favours are strength, charisma and ruthlessness. Unworthy applicants are ripped to pieces, some say by the hand of Angazhan himself. A worthy applicant is also slain – only to be immediately reincarnated into the body of a great ape, with the intelligence, skills and abilities he possessed in life now allied with immense physical strength and toughness.
The Gorilla King took the magical siege engine called Worldbreaker as a trophy from his force's battle with Taldor's Sixth Army of Exploration. In 4684 AR, he also took the Gunworks' largest bombard as a trophy of his assault on Alkenstar.
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 104. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. 46–47. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- Jesse Benner and Jason Nelson. (2010). Bestiary. Vaults of Madness, p. 86. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-275-3
- Laura-Shay Adams et al. (2021). The Mwangi Expanse, p. 273. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-340-9
- Tanya DePass, James Jacobs, Lyz Liddell, et al. (2019). World Guide, p. 86-87. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-172-6