|Environment||Temperate or tropical hills or forest|
|Images of leucrottas|
Source: Bestiary 2, pg(s). 178
Utterly evil spawn of Lamashtu, leucrotta are much more than they appear. While they may look like mere animalistic predators they are in fact as intelligent as the average human but only use this intelligence for creating saditic new hunting techniques.
The leucrotta resembles a strange mix of animals with the head of a feral badger, the body of a lean predatory cat and the feet of a stag. This odd mixture probably results from being the spawn of Lamashtu, the mother of monsters. If legend is to be believed leucrottas were created when Lamashtu took a particularly large, virile hyena as a mate. Leucrotta are about five feet tall and weigh around eight hundred pounds.
Habitat & Ecology
Leucrotta prefer to dwell in open areas where they can easily run down their prey. They often lair near rivers knowing that a nearby source of water is likely to draw prey. The average leucrotta lair will contain a primitive shrine to Lamashtu often just consisting of the skulls of their prey. Leucrottas can be solitary creatures but they also often hunt in packs consisting of an alpha male, a younger male and several females and pups. Despite their seemingly bestial society Leucrotta are very intelligent devoting most of their thoughts to cruel new hunting techniques. They will often stalk their prey for days to determine which victim will cause the most fear if killed first. They are very inventive in their ambushing techniques and savour the fear created by their hunts, the only thing they savour more is their victims helpless pleading before they are eaten alive.
Despite their general intelligence, there is an off-shoot of the leucrotta race that lacks their incredible cunning; these mindless hunters are called crocotta. They look very similar to leucrotta and are of a similar size except that they have shorter back legs, making them look more hyena-like than normal leucrotta.
Despite their savage nature leucrotta do occasionally ally with gnolls who match them in their savage ferocity. Leucrotta even occasionally allow favoured gnolls to ride them into battle but never serve as beasts of burden. In fact it is not unknown for leucrotta allied with gnolls to manipulate their way into leading the tribes often devouring the former chieftain.
- The leucrotta can use its voice mimicry to lure creatures towards it though this only works if the creature is not aware of the danger posed by the leucrotta.
- Powerful Bite
- The bite of the leucrotta is a lot more powerful than the bite of a normal creature its size and so causes a lot more damage.
- Voice Mimicry
- A leucrotta can near perfectly mimic the voice of any creature it has heard often using this ability to lure prey away from safety.
- Mike Ferguson, James Jacobs, Hal Maclean & Sean K Reynolds. (2008). Bestiary. A Memory of Darkness, p. 82. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-130-5
- Mike Ferguson, James Jacobs, Hal Maclean & Sean K Reynolds. (2008). Bestiary. A Memory of Darkness, p. 83. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-130-5
- Alexander Augunas, John Bennett, Robert Brookes, et al. (2017). Ultimate Wilderness, p. 129. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-986-8