Around the town of Ravengro are five huge wooden posts called Posting Poles, which are used to disseminate news to residents. To ensure that all five posts carry the same information, the lad Pevrin Elkarid is employed as 'Post Boy': he charges 1 copper piece to make five copies of any message and ensure they are attached to each Posting Pole for a week.
The five poles are situated as follows:
- The north side of the town square;
- Outside the Laughing Demon tavern;
- Just off the eastern end of the northernmost bridge across the Ravengro Creek;
- Outside the Temple of Pharasma;
- Outside Mirta Straelock's house to the south of the town.
The Posting Poles may be used for such news items as banns of marriage, job vacancies and requests from locals; what residents favour the most is the weekly Wealday Parchment, a simple newspaper for the town written by Gharen Muricar.1