|RPG Superstar 2008|
|Module||Clash of the Kingslayers|
Following shortly behind the popular GameMastery Module Open Call contest in 2007, Paizo announced that it would hold an even larger contest which would involve six rounds of competition and allow for fan voting entitled RPG Superstar. Specific challenges included designing a wondrous item, a country, a villain, three thematically linked monsters, an encounter, and finally an adventure synopsis.
From October 31, 2007 to February 11, 2008, judges Wolfgang Baur, Erik Mona, and Clark Peterson narrowed a field of over 850 contestants down to the Top 32, 16, 8, and 4 before the final winner was announced.
The contest would become an annual event; in retrospect, this year's contest is referred to as RPG Superstar 2008 or RPG Superstar Season 1.
- See also: RPG Superstar
Round Four called for the Top 8 to design three thematically linked monsters. Six RPG Superstar contestants were selected by the voting public to move on to the penultimate round of RPG Superstar. The voting public seemed willing to follow the lead of the judges this round and voted out the two contestants that received the lowest overall scores from Erik Mona, Clark Peterson, and Wolfgang Baur.
Joe Outzen Russ Taylor
On January 3, 2008, Paizo announced the eight RPG Superstar contestants selected by the voting public to move on to Round Four. This round focused on the creation and design of a unique character to fill the role of villain in any campaign.
Neil McClean Joseph Yerger
Paizo announced the 16 RPG Superstar contestants selected by the voting public to move on to Round Three on December 12, 2007. It was a close race, with the 17th-place contestant missing the Top 16 by just a handful of votes.
For the initial open call, more than 850 entrants submitted a wondrous item using the 3.5 SRD. Each entry needed to be 200 words or less and had to include proper mechanics and flavor. From this pool, the Top 32 finalists were selected to write a 1,000-word description of a fantasy nation covering that nation's people, history, geography, government and hidden secrets.
- Paizo Publishing. (October 30, 2007). RPG Superstar Will Find the Next Great RPG Designer, Paizo News.
- Paizo Publishing. (February 20, 2008). Christine Schneider Wins Paizo's First RPG Superstar™!, Paizo News.
- Paizo Publishing. (January 30, 2008). RPG Superstar Final Four Announced, Paizo News.
- Paizo Publishing. (January 16, 2008). RPG Superstar Round Four Results Announced, Paizo News.
- Paizo Publishing. (January 3, 2008). RPG Superstar Round Three Results Announced, Paizo News.
- Paizo Publishing. (December 12, 2007). RPG Superstar Round Two Results Announced, Paizo News.
- Paizo Publishing. (November 28, 2007). RPG Superstar Top 32 Announced, Paizo News.