Every lie spoken throughout the planes condenses as a drop of poison to flood Stygia (pronounced STIJ-ee-uh), the fifth layer of Hell. It is ruled by the archdevil known as the Source of Lies, Geryon. Amid the tangled swamps and fetid jungles rise moldy ruins, mired temples to false deities, and whole blasphemous cities. The waters of the Styx mix with the layer's venomous bogs, creating vast noxious moors before flowing into vast black seas. Dilapidated avenues paved with cracked stones—remnants of empires that never were—cut through these dense bogs, though they regularly succumb to unexpected floods of stagnant water. Travelers who brave the paths or manage to fight their way through the swamps for long enough inevitably discover examples of the layer's countless ruins, overgrown temples and cathedrals, disparate crumbling monuments, and fortresses upturned as if flung by gigantic and careless hands. Most of these decrepit structures—drawn in their entirety from innumerable mortal worlds—still bear artifacts and artistry from forgotten epochs, typically idols and icons of deities and divine forces unknown to even the longest-lived inhabitants of the multiverse.
Library of Oaths
In the mountainous scriptorium called the Library of Oaths, diabolical clerks record every mortal oath with a damning consequence. These records prove binding, and those who break their words are damned to eternity in Stygia for as long as their vows remain within the library vault.
Osyluths are created in the foul depths of Stygia, chosen from the most manipulative of the erinyes and forced under the vile slime for centuries before arising as a bone devil. Levalochs, also known as warmonger devils, are particularly common across the swampy morass of Stygia.
Places of interest
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 247. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- Sean K Reynolds. (August 25, 2009). Book of the Damned: Moloch and Stygia, Paizo Blog.
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2009). Princes of Darkness, p. 14-15. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-189-3
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2009). Princes of Darkness, p. 28. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-189-3
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2009). Princes of Darkness, p. 60-61. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-189-3
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2016). "Roads to Hell". The Inferno Gate, p. 66. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-827-4