The archdevil Mephistopheles rules his layer of Caina (pronounced CANE-uh), an unending expanse of hanging cages, narrow stone platforms, and iron bridges. Caina is also known as the Bones of Hell. The realm is regarded as a land of eternal torture and unceasing darkness.
Caina does not have a surface in the way that the other layers of Hell do; instead, the plane is composed for the most part of a vast expanse of darkness pierced by needle-like spires and towers of rock and bone, which rise from the depths of the plane to heights greater than a mortal could climb in several lifetimes. The tops and interiors of these structures provide what little flat land exists in this layer of Hell. The depths of Caina eventually open onto Nessus, Hell's deepest layer, but most creatures who fall into Caina's abyss die of thirst or hunger long before reaching the underlying layer. Caina's spires and monoliths are connected to one another by a complex system of bridges, juts of stone and iron chains; these, in turn, support countless hanging cages in which Caina's petitioners are imprisoned.
Despite the relative lack of habitable space compared to other layers, Caina is home to significant, although scattered, populations of devils. Gelugons and deimaviggas are particularly common in Caina. The infernal dukes Oriax, Pirias, and Rasvocel, as well as the Queen of the Night Doloras, all make their homes in this layer as well.
Places of interest
- The Adamantine Morass
- The Chained Aerie of the Ebon Harpies
- The Dustbringer
- The Hellfire Testament
- The Iron Cyst
- The Spike of Our Lady's Pain
- The Voxfang
|This page is a stub. You can help us by .|
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 246. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- Todd Stewart. (2009). The Great Beyond: A Guide to the Multiverse, p. 43. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-167-1
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2009). Princes of Darkness, p. 20–21. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-189-3
- Amber E. Scott. (2016). "Breaking the Bones of Hell". Breaking the Bones of Hell, p. 40. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-808-3
- Amanda Hamon. (2013). Fortress of the Nail, p. 12. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Amber E. Scott. (2016). "Breaking the Bones of Hell". Breaking the Bones of Hell, p. 41–42. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-808-3
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2016). "Mephistopheles, the Crimson Son". Breaking the Bones of Hell, p. 71. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-808-3
- Amber E. Scott. (2016). "Breaking the Bones of Hell". Breaking the Bones of Hell, p. 41. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-808-3