Source: The Inner Sea World Guide, pg(s). 301
A wardstone is a minor artifact in the form of a menhir inscribed with runes, and is designed to ward out demons of the Worldwound. Its power must be maintained by regular prayers and annual rituals. The wardstones are infused with the rare mineral nexovar, found in the hills along the Egelsee River in Mendev, which helps to combat the demonic taint.
A string of fortresses were established on the border between Mendev and the Worldwound after the Second Mendevian Crusade. Each fortress is named after a dead crusader general, and contains a wardstone. The greatest of these fortresses is Clydwell Keep, which houses the Demonscope, the artifact which powers the wardstones. It is guarded by the Order of Holy Sentinels.
Creatures of intrinsically chaotic or evil nature cannot pass between wardstones; thus they serve to ensure the demons of the Worldwound cannot venture into Mendev. However, these obelisks must be continuously maintained by priests and protected from demonic attack.
The wardstones also prevent any form of teleportation magic from functioning across the borders, whether from a demonic source or otherwise, but do not hinder such magic from functioning normally inside the Worldwound. Their effects are powerful enough to weaken demonic excursions to the unwarded western and northern borders.
Should a wardstones go more than a year without a maintenance ritual, it can be damaged as any other object, though it remains a dense and difficult to break stone. Destroying a wardstone breaks its link in the chain of wardstones, though the gap in its effect can vary between a few dozen feet to several miles in length.
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 301. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 98. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 101. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- Amber E. Scott. (2013). The Worldwound Incursion. The Worldwound Incursion, p. 52. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-553-2
- Stephen S. Greer, & Tim Hitchcock. (2008). The Demon Within, p. 2. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-076-6
- Stephen S. Greer, & Tim Hitchcock. (2008). The Demon Within, p. 31. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-076-6
- Robin D. Laws. (2011). The Worldwound Gambit, p. 4. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-327-9
- Mark Moreland. (2010). The Sarkorian Prophecy, p. 4. Paizo Publishing, LLC.