|Environment||Cold or temperate plains|
|Images of bison|
Source: Bestiary, pg(s). 174
Bison are distinguished by a hump at their shoulders; small, upward-facing horns; and a shaggy, furry coat. A bison can be up to 7 feet tall at its hump and 12 feet long, and weighs an average of 2,200 pounds.
Like other large herd animals, several bison can stampede together as a group.
Bison most often travel in herds of up to 30. They are generally more aggressive than aurochs, and male bison are known to kill rivals within a herd during mating seasons.
A bison's fur coat makes it more suitable for colder climates than aurochs, and they are known to herd in places like the Realm of the Mammoth Lords, where local Kellids often hunt them or even trigger stampedes against intruders; in Irrisen's Thronehold, where stilyagi imitate Kellid barbarians and hunt bison; the Algid Wastes of Smokespur in the Hold of Belkzen; the Whistling Plains of Taldor, where herds number in the tens of thousands; and near the Worldwound, where fiendish powers corrupt them into carnivorous beasts.
Bison are domesticated less frequently than aurochs, though they can be adopted as animal companions and a few cavaliers find ways to adopt bison as mounts. Bison can also be summoned, and summoned bison persist longer when summoned by divine magic users of the plains.
- Bison (real-world animal) on Wikipedia
- The singular and plural of bison are the same.
- Jason Bulmahn. (2009). Pathfinder RPG Bestiary (First Edition), p. 174. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-183-1
- Colin McComb. (2010). Inner Sea Primer, p. 12. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-277-7
- Jesse Benner. (2011). Keep of the Huscarl King, p. 12. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Jerall Toi. (2013). Where Mammoths Dare Not Tread, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Mike Shel. (2013). Irrisen, Land of Eternal Winter, p. 27. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-486-3
- Tyler Beck, Jason Garrett, Alex Greenshields, and David Schwartz. (2014). Belkzen, Hold of the Orc Hordes, p. 14. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-710-9
- Joshua J. Frost. (2009). Taldor, Echoes of Glory, p. 9. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-169-5
- Tim Hitchcock, Brandon Hodge, Michael Kortes, Jason Nelson, Russ Taylor. (2011). Lost Cities of Golarion, p. 32. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-272-2
- Jason Bulmahn, et al. (2011). Ultimate Combat, p. 36. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-359-0
- Jason Bulmahn, et al. (2011). Ultimate Magic, p. 35. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-299-9