|Images of cavaliers|
Source: Advanced Player's Guide, pg(s). 32-37
While many warriors strive to perfect their art, spending all of their time honing their skill at martial arms, others spend as much effort dedicating themselves to a cause. These warriors, known as cavaliers, swear themselves to a purpose, serving it above all else. Cavaliers are skilled at fighting from horseback, and are often found charging across a battlefield, with the symbol of their order trailing on a long, fluttering banner. The cavalier's true power comes from the conviction of his ideals, the oaths that he swears, and the challenges he makes.
All races and manner of beings might enter into the cavalier class.
Cavaliers do not follow any specific religion in general. However, they do follow orders that help to define the cavalier's role in Golarion.
Orders of the Beast (two separate and distinct orders)
There are two completely distinct and almost diametrically opposed cavalier orders that merely share the same name, that of order of the beast; there is no other connection between the two orders. Cavaliers of the one order of the beast serve and protect nature and take a truly loyal animal companion. Cavaliers of the other order of the beast seek only destruction and chaos and are often insane.
Order of the Blossom
Cavaliers who belong to the order of the blossom are sworn to help and protect fey and guard portals to the First World. Many members are fey themselves, though the order is also open to non-fey creatures. Blighted fey are anathema to cavaliers of the order of the blossom and such corrupt creatures are destroyed on sight.
Order of the Cockatrice
A cavalier who belongs to this order serves only himself, working to further his own aims and increase his own prestige. The order is popular in the crusader nation of Mendev, where warriors in the never-ending war against the demons of the Worldwound often lose faith in all else except themselves. This order is also the most popular order amongst tiefling cavaliers.
Order of the Dragon
These cavaliers believe in loyalty and friendship, and are willing to lay down their lives to protect their allies.
Order of the Eel
Order of the Flame
Cavaliers of the order of the flame seek personal glory, high renown and legendary status regardless of the cost or risk.
Order of the Green
Order of the Guard
Cavalier followers of the order of the guard take the role of a dedicated bodyguard of a specific person or entity.
Order of the Hammer
Order of the Hero
Order of the hero cavaliers dedicate themselves to protecting the vulnerable from large monsters by hunting them down.
Order of the Land
These cavaliers believe in protecting commoners from oppression. Often ill-equipped, they are self-reliant and find a way to make do with the resources they do have. They can be found leading untrained revolutionaries against tyrants.
Order of the Lion
Order of the Monument
Cavaliers of the order of the monument assign themselves to protect their chosen settlement respecting and upholding the local faiths and laws. Even when abroad, such cavaliers maintain their settlement's codes and norms.
Order of the Penitent
This order's cavaliers are reformed criminals who have realized the suffering they have caused. To atone for their crimes, these cavaliers pledge themselves to honorable service. They are merciful to others, assuming very few foes are beyond redemption, delivering suspected criminals for a fair trial. When forced to dispense judgment, they go to great lengths to ensure fairness.
Order of the Reins
Cavaliers belonging to the order of the reins extend their care for their mount to all trained, working, and domesticated animals. This attitude makes them excellent guards for caravans in which role they are often employed.
Order of the Scales
Such cavaliers hold legal integrity as the highest goal to defend.
Order of the Shield
Order of the Staff
A cavalier who belongs to this order is dedicated to protecting spellcasters. Important magical items and locations are also guarded. These cavaliers will assist any spellcaster requesting aid, unless the requester opposes the cavalier's goals or the cavalier's duties would be adversely impacted.
Order of the Star
Order of the Sword
Cavaliers who join the order of the sword dedicate their lives to the code of chivalry, living a life of honor, valor, and fairness.
Order of the Waves
Cavaliers belonging to the order of the waves are predominantly found underwater investigating the mysteries found in the seas and oceans of Golarion.
Order of the Whip
Order of Vengeance
The order of vengeance is for cavaliers seeking to regain their rightful homeland and to take revenge on those who dispossessed them. It is commonly linked to the church of Calistria. It is also an order taken by many cavaliers who fled the Red Revolution of Galt and fled to Gralton in the River Kingdoms.
- Jason Bulmahn. (2010). Advanced Player's Guide, p. 32–37. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-246-3
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 274. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Jason Bulmahn et al. (2014). Advanced Class Guide, p. 90. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-671-3
- Dennis Baker, Jesse Benner, John Compton, and Thurston Hillman. (2014). Inner Sea Combat, p. 30. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-598-3
- Judy Bauer et al. (2017). Legacy of the First World, p. 27. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-941-7
- Hal Maclean and Colin McComb. (2012). Blood of Fiends, p. 13. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-423-8
- Amber E. Scott. (2017). Blood of the Sea, p. 24. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-955-4
- Tim Akers, Judy Bauer, Jim Groves, Chris Lites, Dale C. McCoy, Jr., and Cassidy Werner. (2014). Blood of the Elements, p. 7. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-654-6
- Tyler Beck et al. (2015). Heroes of the Wild, p. 13. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-733-8
- Crystal Frasier, Will McCardell, and David Schwartz. (2014). The Harrow Handbook, p. 18. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-650-8
- Eric Hindley, Mikko Kallio, Luis Loza, and Christopher Wasko. (2017). Monster Hunter's Handbook, p. 13. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-933-2
- Gareth Hanrahan, Steve Kenson, Patrick Renie, Tork Shaw, and Jerome Virnich. (2012). Knights of the Inner Sea, p. 24–25. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-460-3
- Saif Ansari, Mara Lynn Butler, Jeffrey Hersh, Vanessa Hoskins, Lyz Liddell, Luis Loza, and Linda Zayas-Palmer. (2018). Disciple's Doctrine, p. 15. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-011-8
- John Compton, et al. (2018). Merchant's Manifest, p. 31. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-026-2
- Matt Goodall et al. (2014). Champions of Balance, p. 22. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-603-4
- Amber E. Scott and Mark Seifter. (2017). Aquatic Adventures, p. 53. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-944-8
- Alexander Augunas, Logan Bonner, Paris Crenshaw, et al. (2016). Villain Codex, p. 20. Paizo Inc.
- Tim Akers et al. (2014). People of the River, p. 10. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-666-9