Heraldry is the profession, study, or art of creating, granting, and blazoning arms and ruling on questions of rank or protocol. It might involve discussion of crests or coats of arms. Heraldry is employed on Golarion to distinguish amongst other things nations and regions; noble houses and royalty; military and other organizations and chivalric orders.
A captain of the Imperial Army presenting the arms of Molthune on his armour.
Cheliax and Taldor
The chimera was often used in Taldor by the nobility as an heraldic device; in later times these same families became Chelaxian.
The national coat of arms of Molthune—also displayed on the national flag—consists of a crossed sword and hammer.
Heraldry of Regions and Cities
The heraldic crest of the Galtan capital city of Isarn is the iris, known as the flower of Isarn.
Royal & Noble Heraldry
Lord Suvarian's gerfalcon rampant motif on tabard
In the River Kingdoms, 'nobles' come and go. Some use heraldry to gain an air of superiority or credibility. One such is Lord Suvarian; his men wear tabards, shields or armour emblazoned with a silver gerfalcon rampant on a blue background.
In Galt, "the arms of the late Duke of Dabril were properly termed vert, a cockatrice in his majesty displayed and inverted tergant regardant or issuant a fountain and transfixed by a unicorn incensant argent. Or, more prosaically: a green field with a crowned golden cockatrice flying out of a pool, only to get stabbed in the back by an angry white unicorn."
Soldiers of the Molthuni Imperial Army display the heraldry of the army: a small, red dragon holding a larger, purple-coloured sword.
Heraldry of organizations
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraldry
- ↑ James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 293. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- ↑ Jonathan Keith, Jason Nelson, and Anthony Pryor. (2012). Mythical Monsters Revisited, p. 8. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-384-2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Lissa Guillet and Amber E. Scott. (2017). Lands of Conflict, Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-927-1
- ↑ Kevin Andrew Murphy. (2012). "The Perfumer's Apprentice", ch. 2. Paizo Publishing.
- ↑ Robert E. Vardeman. (2011). "Plow and Sword", ch. 2 & 4. Paizo Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60125-430-6
- ↑ Kevin Andrew Murphy. (2010). "The Secret of the Rose and Glove", ch. 1. Paizo Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60125-351-4