A volcano is a mountain or rupture in the earth that allows hot lava, ash, and gases to escape from a magma chamber below the surface. Three broad types of volcano exist:
- cinder cones are made up of compacted ash and volcanic debris, and most erupt only briefly before becoming inactive;
- shield volcanoes are low and broad, due to the lava they erupt flowing for large distances before cooling;
- stratovolcanoes are steeply sloped and much higher than the other two types, the lava they erupt tending to cool quickly and before it can flow very far.
A volcano's activity may cause its magma reservoirs to empty out, at which point the mountain may collapse into the resulting cavern to form a crater-like caldera. A caldera may still remain volcanically active, as is the case with those containing the Gorum Pots of Numeria and Terwa Lake in the Mwangi Expanse. Volcanoes often arise in areas where the boundaries between the Material Plane and the Plane of Fire are thin.
Despite their hostile natures, volcanoes are often home to a variety of creature such as fire giants, red, magma and underworld dragons, fire and magma elementals, thoqquas, fire whales and magma oozes.
- See also: Category:Volcanoes
- Droskar's Crag, a stratovolcano in Darkmoon Vale
- Zhobl and Zhonar, in Qadira
- Mhar Massif, in Varisia
- The volcano housing Zom Kullan, the capital of Nagajor, in Tian Xia
- Blackpeak, a volcano in Taldor long assumed to be dormant erupted in 4486 AR
- Mount Kaltafarr, an ancient volcano and the highest peak in Taldor
- Mount Kuvetheir, located in the World's Edge Mountains in Taldor, but was not known to be an active volcano until it erupted in 4607 AR.
- Sakalayo Peak, one of the most active volcanoes in the Plane of Fire and a sacred site to the plane's inhabitants.
- Yamatsumi is the Tian-Min deity of volcanoes.
- Mhar, the stillborn demigod said to reside in Mhar Massif.
- Volcano, Wikipedia.
- Russ Taylor. (2015). Volcanoes of Golarion. Anvil of Fire, p. 69-70. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-729-1
- Robert Brookes et al. (2017). Bestiary 6, p. 128. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-931-8
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 153. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- James Jacobs. (June 15, 2011). Mountains of Golarion and their sizes, Paizo Boards.
- James Jacobs, Dave Gross, Rob McCreary. (2011). Dragon Empires Gazetteer, p. 33. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-379-8
- Mark Moreland. (2017). Taldor, the First Empire, p. 20. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-999-8
- Mark Moreland. (2017). Taldor, the First Empire, p. 38. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-999-8
- Jason Bulmahn, Hal Maclean, Rob McCreary. (2008). Bestiary. The Armageddon Echo, p. 83. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-128-2
- Robert Brookes et al. (2018). Planar Adventures, p. 140. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-044-6
- James Jacobs, Dave Gross, Rob McCreary. (2011). Dragon Empires Gazetteer, p. 63. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-379-8