According to legend, there was a great Mwangi civilization in the Mwangi Expanse, which was wiped out by the fall of the Starstone that ushered in the Age of Darkness. The Magic Warriors gave up everything—even their names, known to history only by their golden masks in the forms of fantastic jungle creatures—to maintain this lost civilization's culture and learning in the disaster's aftermath.
Jatembe and the Warriors defeated evildoers such as the King of Biting Ants, whose stronghold was the Doorway to the Red Star. They also established schools of learning, such as the Magaambya, in Nantambu, and became advisers to and protectors of the people. The Warriors aided Jatembe's creation of the Ring of Nine Facets.
The Warriors are represented in mosaic on the ten towers of the Magaambya. There are no known tombs for any of them.
The warriors, led by Jatembe, included: 
- Azure Leopard, the Patient Warden, a Human woman and founder of the Tempest-Sun Mages
- Black Heron, the Wings of Knowledege, who united the Shory people into the Shory Empire
- Carmine Jaws, the Hyena who Looks Between, who may or may not have been a Gnoll
- Elephant, the Conjured Chronicle, who chronicled the deeds of the warriors and founded the Uzunjati
- Golden Snake, the Tireless Guide, who was likely a Serpentfolk, although some argue he was a Nagaji
- Ibex, the Flourishing Field, who pioneered herbal medicine and healing
- Shifting Frog, Storyteller of the Past and Future, an Ekujae Elf
- Verdant Spider, the Speaker of Needs, who fought for the rights of ordinary people and inspired the Magaambya's history of service
- Whistling Kite, the Vigilant Seer, a prominent emancipator always depicted as an intelligent Hawk
- White Bull, the Horn-Forger, an Iruxi known for several prominent achievements in architecture
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- James Jacobs, Colin McComb, Sean K Reynolds, Amber Scott, and Larry Wilhelm. (2011). Humans of Golarion, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-315-6
- Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. 41. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2012). Artifacts & Legends, p. 40. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-458-0
- Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. 53. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- Benjamin Bruck, Jason Bulmahn, Amanda Hamon, et al. (2013). Mythic Realms, p. 8. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-567-9
- Alexander Augunas et al. (2020). Legends, p. 63. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-254-9
- Dennis Baker, et al. (2014). Advanced Class Origins, p. 6. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-674-4