|Government||Colony of Lands of the Linnorm Kings|
Source: The Inner Sea World Guide, pg(s). 203
Port Valen is an Ulfen colony on the northeastern coast of the continent of Arcadia. It was founded by Linnorm King Ulvass of Kalsgard in -473 AR. In the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, it is known as Valenhall (or, as it is sometimes corrupted in the Dwarven language, Valhalla) and seen as the final spiritual destination for powerful lords and brave warriors, who attempt the lengthy and dangerous journey to the colony at the end of their lives, though the truth is much less glamorous.
A description of the colony and its history is catalogued in the rare book, Discovering Arcadia: The Glory of the Linnorm King Ulvass.
In -473 AR, Ulvass heard a song that described a place of endless glory across the Arcadian Ocean. When he set out to find this legendary place, common stories started to diverge from actual history.
Skalds sing that in this new land full of knowledge and treasure, Ulvass built a mighty hold where warriors can fight glorious battles by day and join great feasts at night, and that he still lives in eternal bliss. Explorers who came from Avistan tell that the first settlers had little resistance from the native Arcadians, and only had to contend with the occasional monster. The Arcadians eventually made themselves known and attacked Valenhall savagely, which in turn caused the colonists to build stronger defenses. These, along with a number of foreign diseases the Ulfen brought with them, eventually managed to thin the Arcadian population near Valenhall enough so that they no longer presented a major challenge to the colony.
In truth, when Ulvass stepped foot on Arcadia, he stopped hearing the call of Valenhall and only found a barren, dangerous frontier. Without resources to come back home, he and his followers established the permanent settlement of Port Valen. After Ulvass died, Port Valen endured due to the Ulfen settlers' attempts to reach out and establish good relations with the native Mahweks. Together, both groups have flourished. Relations have improved over the years, and some knowledge of Ulfen legendary spirits has passed to Arcadian mediums as a result, though the broad differences in cultures is still an obstacle to channeling them.
Ardril, the Would-Be King was a mighty slayer of several linnorms, but she pursued the ancestral linnorm Fafnheir and refused to claim a throne until she had slain him. She was eventually run out of her homeland by soldiers of the Linnorm Kings, who feared she would claim their crowns, and escaped to Valenhall.
Due to the myths surrounding the settlement, Valenhall is seen as a kind of mystical afterlife for the bravest of warriors. In the songs of skalds, Valenhall is guarded by einherjar and valkyries, and overseen by a trio of norns. Due to this supernatural protection and its remote location in the far northeastern coast of the continent, Valenhall has little contact with the Andoran colony of Elesomare, or the Chelish colonies of Anchor's End and Canorus.
In reality, Port Valen is not the glorious realm as described in songs and myths, but is only a small town resembling other Ulfen ports in the Lands of the Linnorm Kings. It is inhabited by both native Mahweks and the descendants of the first ancient Ulfen settlers who accompanied Ulvass in his journey to Arcadia. In the ensuing five millennia, the two ethnic groups have interbred; a third of Port Valen's inhabitants possess both Mahwek and Ulfen features, with the rest being equally divided between pure-blooded Ulfens and Mahweks.
- Tanya DePass, James Jacobs, Lyz Liddell, et al. (2019). World Guide, p. 110. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-172-6
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 35. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 203. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Matthew Goodall, Jonathan Keith, Colin McComb, and Rob McCreary. (2011). Lands of the Linnorm Kings, p. 3. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-365-1
- Russ Taylor. (2010). Horn of Valhalla. Classic Treasures Revisited, p. 37. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-220-3
- Luis Loza. (2020). Path of Kings, p. 3. Paizo Inc.
- Joshua J. Frost. (2011). Written in Blood, p. 20. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Saif Ansari, Alexander Augunas, Mara Lynn Butler, Michelle Jones, Avi Kool, and Alex Riggs. (2019). Heroes of Golarion, p. 4. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-120-7
- Saif Ansari, Alexander Augunas, Mara Lynn Butler, Michelle Jones, Avi Kool, and Alex Riggs. (2019). Heroes of Golarion, p. 4–5. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-120-7
- Michael Sayre and Mark Seifter. (2021). Guns & Gears, p. 208. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-369-0
- Adam Daigle. (2015). Segada, City of Keys. Distant Shores, p. 45. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-787-1
- Luis Loza. (2020). Path of Kings, p. 5. Paizo Inc.