|Government||Colony of Lands of the Linnorm Kings|
Source: Inner Sea World Guide, pg(s). 203
Valenhall—or, as it is sometimes corrupted in the Dwarven language, Valhalla—is an Ulfen colony on the northeastern coast of the continent of Arcadia. It was founded by Linnorm King Ulvass of Kalsgard in -473 AR. It has since become the final destination for the lords of the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, who attempt the lengthy and dangerous journey to the colony at the end of their lives, and see Valenhall as a spiritual destination for the bravest of warriors.
The first settlers had little resistance from the native Arcadians (whom they dubbed Skraelings), and only had to contend with the occasional monster. The Arcadians eventually made themselves known and attacked Valenhall savagely, which in turn caused the colonists to build stronger defenses. These, along with a number of foreign diseases the Ulfen brought with them, eventually managed to thin the Arcadian population near Valenhall enough so that they no longer presented a major challenge to the colony.
Ardril, the Would-Be King was a mighty slayer of several linnorms, but she pursued the ancestral linnorm Fafnheir and refused to claim a throne until she had slain him. She was eventually run out of her homeland by soldiers of the Linnorm Kings, who feared she would claim their crowns, and escaped to Valenhall.
Relations have thawed over the years, and some knowledge of Ulfen legendary spirits has passed to Arcadian mediums as a result, though the broad differences in cultures is still an obstacle to channeling them.
A description of the colony and its history is catalogued in the rare book, Discovering Arcadia: The Glory of the Linnorm King Ulvass.
Valenhall is inhabited by the descendants of the first ancient Ulfen settlers who made the long and dangerous journey to this continent thousands of years ago. Due to the myths surrounding the settlement, Valenhall is seen as a kind of mystical afterlife for the bravest of warriors. This belief is reinforced by the fact that it is guarded by einheriar and valkyries, and overseen by a trio of norns. Due to this supernatural protection and its remote location in the far northeastern coast of the continent, Valenhall has little contact with the Andoran colony of Elesomare, or the Chelish colonies of Anchor's End and Canorus.
- Russ Taylor. (2010). Horn of Valhalla. Classic Treasures Revisited, p. 37. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-220-3
- Tanya DePass, James Jacobs, Lyz Liddell, Ron Lundeen, Liane Merciel, Erik Mona, Mark Seifter, and James L. Sutter. (2019). Lost Omens World Guide, p. 110. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-172-6
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 35. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 203. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Matthew Goodall, Jonathan Keith, Colin McComb, and Rob McCreary. (2011). Lands of the Linnorm Kings, p. 3. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-365-1
- Saif Ansari, Alexander Augunas, Mara Lynn Butler, Michelle Jones, Avi Kool, and Alex Riggs. (2019). Heroes of Golarion, p. 4–5. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-120-7
- Saif Ansari, Alexander Augunas, Mara Lynn Butler, Michelle Jones, Avi Kool, and Alex Riggs. (2019). Heroes of Golarion, p. 4. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-120-7
- Joshua J. Frost. (2011). Written in Blood, p. 20. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Adam Daigle. (2015). Segada, City of Keys. Distant Shores, p. 45. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-787-1