|Images of xills|
Source: Bestiary, pg(s). 283
All xills are female, and they fertilize their own eggs, but they require a host body to incubate their eggs before they hatch. For this reason, they use their poisoned mandibles to paralyze their victims and implant eggs in their bodies with an ovipositor usually kept retracted behind their jaws. Xills particularly favor phase spiders as incubators.
Habitat and society
Xills inhabit the gray mists of the Ethereal Plane. They are highly intelligent, with a repressive, militaristic culture. Due to their need to reproduce, they are driven toward conquest, constantly seeking new incubators for their eggs. Xills often find themselves in conflict with the more powerful night hags, and are in a state of eternal war with the phase spiders, their favored source of incubators. Xills and destrachans are mortal enemies.
A strange subspecies of chaotic, green-scaled xills inhabits the ruins of Valashai in the Valashmai Jungle. These xills, native to the Material Plane, take slaves to use as incubators. They prize arcane magic, and tribes are led by sorcerers or summoners with ties to the Abyss.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Jason Bulmahn. (2009). Pathfinder RPG Bestiary (First Edition), p. 283. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-183-1
- Todd Stewart. (2009). The Great Beyond: A Guide to the Multiverse, p. 14. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-167-1
- Adam Daigle, Crystal Frasier, Colin McComb, Rob McCreary, Jason Nelson, James L. Sutter. (2010). Misfit Monsters Redeemed, p. 7. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-270-8
- James L. Sutter and Paizo Staff. (2007). Seven Swords of Sin, p. 25. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-050-6
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2012). Artifacts & Legends, p. 51. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-458-0
- James Jacobs, Dave Gross, Rob McCreary. (2011). Dragon Empires Gazetteer, p. 40. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-379-8
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2011). Rule of Fear, p. 60. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-301-9