|Images of krakens|
Source: Bestiary, pg(s). 184
A typical kraken's body can be up to 100 feet in length and weighs 4,000 pounds. In appearance, the body of a kraken resembles that of a giant squid, with a ring of tentacles surrounding a mouth connected to a central body. Two of its tentacles are longer than the rest and bear deadly hooked barbs. A kraken has very large eyes and fins that jut from the upper part of its body.
In Rova 4700 AR, the eyeless bodies of thirteen krakens washed up on the Isle of Kortos. There have been reports that a mighty kraken sometimes hunts near the whirlpool of Devil's Drain between Dragon's Rib of the Ironbound Islands and the Linnorm Kingdom of Southmoor.
The Tian Xian nation of Wanshou came under the control of the kraken Zhanagorr when he quelled a devastating typhoon that hit its shores shortly after the fall of Lung Wa, naming rulership of Wanshou and its people as his price for doing so.
In the Great Beyond
Large numbers of krakens are native to the dark depths of the Plane of Water, where they have long been in conflict with the native brine dragons for dominance of the plane. Despite their intelligence and power, the krakens' lack of organization has allowed the dragons to expel them from the depths as their own power and holdings grew, forcing the krakens into the plane's lighter waters. This has forced many krakens to enter into begrudging alliances with other races, often installing themselves as advisors to marid and sahuagin rulers. While the krakens find such alliances demeaning, they hope to forge the disparate genie and sahuagin nations into stable empires once again, preferably ones heavily reliant on kraken support.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Paizo. (August 13, 2009). Kraken, Pathfinder Reference Document.
- Erik Mona and Jason Bulmahn. (2008). Gazetteer, p. 21. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-077-3
- Matthew Goodall, Jonathan Keith, Colin McComb, and Rob McCreary. (2011). Lands of the Linnorm Kings, p. 23. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-365-1
- James Jacobs, Dave Gross, Rob McCreary. (2011). Dragon Empires Gazetteer, p. 42. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-379-8
- John Compton, Paris Crenshaw, Eleanor Ferron, Thurston Hillman, and Jessica Price. (2016). Planes of Power, p. 42. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-883-0