|CR||3–19 (by age category)|
|Environment||Plane of Water|
|Images of brine dragons|
Source: Bestiary 2, pg(s). 94
Covered in spines and frills, they are believed to have originated as elemental creatures in the area between the Planes of Water and Earth, although some speculate that they could also be transplants from another plane.
Habitat and Society
They inhabit the darker, more saline depths of their home plane, far from the light of the Plane of Air. Their main competitors are the sahuagin and the marids, with whom they are in frequent conflict. Brine dragons are solitary creatures, but as they age they become more and more concerned with ruling over "lesser beings".
As with all true dragons, brine dragons gain in power as they age. They have formidable physical abilities, and as they age they gain spell-like abilities and sorcerous spellcasting. Older brine dragons are adept at capsizing boats.
The salty bite of elder brine dragons' teeth can desiccate victims, weakening them over and above the normal bite damage. The bite of the very oldest brine dragons is so potent that any who survive the damage may still be temporarily stunned by the pain.
Example Brine Dragons
The most powerful of their kind is Kelizandri, said to be the child of a brine dragon and a minor divine power. He rules his realm of Kelizandrika and is in frequent conflict with the neighboring sahuagin kingdoms.
A brine dragon named Rezlarabren lives on Thoska Isle, on the southern end of the Ironbound Archipelago. She is allied with a tribe of skum whom she employs, in exchange for protection, to mine salt that she trades with the elves of the Mordant Spire. She is an enemy of the Ulfen of the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, due to having been hunted by them in her youth.
A great wyrm brine dragon named Hyntheragha lairs in the exact center of the Obari Ocean, where she rules over and is worshipped by a tribe of merfolk whom, legend claims, she rescued after their settlement was destroyed by a storm.
- Todd Stewart. (2009). The Great Beyond: A Guide to the Multiverse, p. 20. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-167-1
- Paizo Staff. (2010). Bestiary 2, p. 94-95. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-268-5
- Paizo Staff. (2010). Bestiary 2, p. 94. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-268-5
- Todd Stewart. (2009). The Great Beyond: A Guide to the Multiverse, p. 21. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-167-1
- Savannah Broadway et al. (2013). Dragons Unleashed, p. 36-39. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-525-9
- Amber E. Scott and Mark Seifter. (2017). Aquatic Adventures, p. 17-18. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-944-8