|Titles||Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young|
|Areas of Concern|| Fertility,|
|Domains||Animal, Chaos, Evil, Plant, Void|
|Subdomains||Dark Tapestry, Decay, Feather, Fur, Growth, Stars|
|Symbol||Radially arrayed goat heads|
|Sacred Colors||Green, white|
Source: Wake of the Watcher, pg(s). 66
Shub-Niggurath is an Outer God belonging to a group of immensely powerful, yet inscrutable beings called the Elder Mythos, or the gods of the Dark Tapestry. Shub-Niggurath is the fertility deity of that pantheon. Her unholy symbol consists of three goat heads attached at the neck, with horns pointed outward to form a circular shape.
Shub-Niggurath is a fecund goddess and has mated with probably most Dark Tapestry deities, giving birth to powerful offspring. The goddess' title refers to the number of spawn she is likely to have born. Some of her most successful spawn are termed dark young of Shub-Niggurath, which start out as moit of Shub-Niggurath.
The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young has a relatively strong following within the Inner Sea region compared to the other gods of her pantheon, usually localized in rural areas: especially forests, jungles or swamps. The largest cult following is around Lake Encarthan, which is also home to a piece of Shub-Niggurath: the Watcher in the Bay, the result of an occult ritual designed to call out Shub-Niggurath enacted long ago by her worshipper Ariadnah.
Shub-Niggurath was responsible for spawning millions of neothelids into the surface of Golarion during the Age of Creation. Most neothelids venerate her and pray for her return so she might give birth to a new clutch of neothelids.
- Wikipedia article on Shub-Niggurath. Original Source: H. P. Lovecraft and Adolphe de Castro, "The Last Test", 1927, published 1928; James Jacobs. (2016). The Elder Mythos. In Search of Sanity, p. 71. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-882-3
- James Jacobs. (2011). Cults of the Dark Tapestry. Wake of the Watcher, p. 66. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-311-8
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 235. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Greg A. Vaughan and Rob McCreary. (2011). Wake of the Watcher. Wake of the Watcher, p. 15. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-311-8
- James Jacobs. (2011). Cults of the Dark Tapestry. Wake of the Watcher, p. 67. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-311-8
- James Jacobs. (2016). The Elder Mythos. In Search of Sanity, p. 71. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-882-3
- James Jacobs and Greg A. Vaughan. (2011). Bestiary. Wake of the Watcher, p. 78. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-311-8
- Jim Groves. (2017). Black Stars Beckon. Black Stars Beckon, p. 55. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-919-6
- Thurston Hillman. (2016). Neothelid. Darklands Revisited, p. 41–44. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-819-9
- James Jacobs and Greg A. Vaughan. (2011). Bestiary. Wake of the Watcher, p. 87. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-311-8