- For another meaning of "Tarrasque", please see Constellation.
A legendary monster of immense size, Tarrasque, also known as the Armageddon Engine, resembles a titanic dinosaur and is thought to be the most powerful of the Spawn of Rovagug. It is a creature of unthinkable power, bent on total destruction. It is practically impossible to kill; one can only hope to banish, trap, or transport it somehow in order to stop its rampage.
Tarrasque is a colossal, hunched, relatively simplistic-looking land vertebrate. Its most notable features are a carapace capable of reflecting magic and a huge jaw with sharp teeth capable of swallowing whole villages. Its horns and tail are also deadly weapons in their own right.
Thought to have been created by Rovagug while in the Pit of Gormuz, Tarrasque is one of the most powerful and destructive creatures known. It is believed that this creature is the current herald of the god of destruction. It is seemingly drawn to human settlements, brutally exterminating the populace and hunting down escaping survivors.
History and lore
Tarrasque emerged in Casmaron from the Pit of Gormuz in -632 AR. It took three months to destroy most of the nearby nation of Ninshabur and force the elite to hide in magically-shrouded Tabsagal, where they eventually succumbed to famine, disease, and suicide. After exterminating Ninshabur, it turned west and rampaged into Avistan, destroying the city of Oppara in the process.
Tarrasque then sought the old foes of Rovagug in Garund and brought about the fall of the flying city of Kho, capital of the Shory Empire, causing it to crash in the Barrier Wall mountains in the Mwangi Expanse. It was eventually stopped and imprisoned in a cave somewhere in Avistan; the anniversary of its defeat is celebrated as a national holiday in many nations, including Taldor and Osirion.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Jim Groves, James Jacobs, Rob McCreary, et al. (2012). Inner Sea Bestiary, p. 46. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-468-9
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 35. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Jason Bulmahn. (2009). Pathfinder RPG Bestiary (First Edition), p. 262. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-183-1
- Clinton Boomer. (2009). Spawn of Rovagug. The Final Wish, p. 52. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-185-5
- Sean K Reynolds. (2008). Gods and Magic, p. 52. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-139-8
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 129. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Eleanor Ferron. (2018). Oppara Gazetteer. Crownfall, p. 63. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-64078-015-6
- James Jacobs, Dave Gross, Rob McCreary. (2011). Dragon Empires Gazetteer, p. 16. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-379-8
- Neil Spicer. (2014). Rise and Fall of the Shory Empire. The Slave Trenches of Hakotep, p. 68. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-592-1