|Titles|| The Faceless Sphinx,|
Lord of Greed
|Home||Blood Clefts, Abyss|
|Areas of Concern|| Greed|
|Worshipers||Evil humans, evil sphinxes, avaricious rulers, dragons, drow|
|Domains||Air, Chaos, Evil, Trickery|
|Subdomains||Deception, Demon, Thievery, Wind|
|Symbol||Faceless female sphinx|
|Sacred Colors||Blue, gold|
|Images of Areshkagal|
Areshkagal is a faceless, six-legged female sphinx whose midnight-blue fur is sparse enough that her very pale skin can be seen through it. Draconic wings sprout from her shoulder blades, and her tail is the front half of a viper. This viper's mouth speaks riddles to her prisoners, and her face is rumoured to be so hideous that, on revealing it, Areshkagal sends onlookers mad or to their deaths.
Areshkagal's mightier younger half-sister, Aldinach, ousted her from her former domain in the Sea of Whispering Sands. Their shared mother, Lamashtu, pays no heed to the strife between the two demon lords, so Areshkagal constantly sends groups of demonic sphinxes and other denizens of her realm against Aldinach without fear of repercussion. One explanation for this incessant war is that Aldinach has yet to find her sister's treasure vault and Areshkagal is desperate to get to it before her sister finds it. There is an Abyssal layer called the Enigma of Areshkagal.
Worshipers and followers
Areshkagal has fewer worshipers than her sister, since after her defeat she lost many of her powers. On the Material Plane, she has drow followers, particularly the drow of House Vonnarc in Zirnakaynin.
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 246. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs. (2009). Demon Lords of Golarion. Descent into Midnight, p. 56. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-131-2
- James Jacobs. (2010). Lords of Chaos, p. 12. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-250-0
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2008). Endless Night. Endless Night, p. 36. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-129-9
- Jeff Grubb. (2008). Drow of Golarion. The Armageddon Echo, p. 64. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-128-2
- James Jacobs. (December 9, 2008). Who does house Vonnarc serve?, Paizo Messageboards.
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2008). Endless Night. Endless Night, p. 21. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-129-9
- Ereshkigal (real-world deity) on Wikipedia