Lake Ocota is the largest freshwater body of water in the Mwangi Expanse and lies at the heart of the Mwangi Jungle. Numerous rivers flow into it, and the Vanji River flows out of the lake, reaching the Fever Sea at Bloodcove. The lake is a hundred miles across.
The lake is home to creatures unknown elsewhere. These include the zinza, swift, flightless birds with reptile-like teeth. There are also more dangerous creatures, long-necked aquatic predators that seem to be a throwback to ancient times. These beasts are happy to snatch unwary prey from boats, docks or shores; they can also sometimes be found wandering the region's rivers. These creatures are in fact members of two separate species of aquatic predators: a reclusive population of mokele-mbembes that rarely leave the deeper parts of the lake and numerous crocodile-headed water orms. The orms are the offspring of a larger, ancient specimen known as the Fetid God, which lives in the center of the lake and rarely surfaces.
The blanchess urchin is found in the lake and its ink is known to be used by Mwangi mystics to bring forth the seventh flavour.
Places of interest
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Rob Lazzaretti. (2011). Inner Sea Poster Map Folio, p. 1. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Distance calculations in this article are based on rough measurements from the Inner Sea Poster Map Folio, and should not be taken as definitive.
- Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. 24-25. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- Richard Pett, Anthony Pryor, Amber E. Scott, and Ray Vallese. (2012). Mystery Monsters Revisited, p. 26. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-473-3
- Richard Pett, Anthony Pryor, Amber E. Scott, and Ray Vallese. (2012). Mystery Monsters Revisited, p. 55-56. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-473-3
- Erik Mona. (2011). "Two Pieces of Tarnished Silver", Paizo Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60125-396-5