The ruins of the city of Drowning Stones, located in the northern Mwangi Jungle of the Mwangi Expanse, was abandoned by its population when it began to sink into the swamp. It sits about halfway between the Olongo River to the north and the Vanji River to the south. Today only the central fortress remains (relatively) dry. The city takes its name from the massive standing stones that served as pillars for the central forum.
Concurrently with the abandonment of the settlement, tribes of skum began emerging from the Darklands, presumably through some undiscovered entrance to the underground world. The skum now occupy the city, despite the efforts of the local Rumawa tribe to dislodge them from what the tribe consider to be holy ground. The skum worship the demon lord Sifkesh and there is a temple to her in a cavern beneath the city.
- Rob Lazzaretti. (2011). Inner Sea Poster Map Folio, p. 1. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- James Jacobs and Greg A. Vaughan. (2008). Into the Darklands, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-140-4
- Tim Hitchcock et al. (2010). Heart of the Jungle, p. 50. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-247-0
- Tim Hitchcock. (2009). Encounter at the Drowning Stones, p. 18. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Thurston Hillman. (2015). Ecology of the Skum. Turn of the Torrent, p. 72. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-784-0
- Tim Hitchcock. (2009). Encounter at the Drowning Stones, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC.