|Titles||Hurricane King; Captain; Pirate lord|
|Class||Fighter 8 / Inner Sea Pirate 10 †|
|Homeland||Port Peril, Shackles|
|Organization||Shackles Pirates, Free Captains, Pirate Council|
|Images of Kerdak Bonefist|
Source: Faction Guide, pg(s). 46
Captain Kerdak Bonefist, the Hurricane King, is the leader of the Free Captains and accordingly effectively the head of state of the Shackles. He earned the position in 4674 AR by virtue of possessing the strongest fleet and holding Port Peril. Despite his fearsomeness, he maintains this position only so long as he retains the confidence of the Pirate Council.
In addition to ruling Port Peril, largest of the ports of the Shackles, he also commands the man-o'-war Filthy Lucre, flagship of the pirate fleet. Bonefist has an obsession with firearms, and owns a magical pistol which he claims to have used to kill over a hundred people.
His fortress home in Port Peril is known as Lucrehold. However, he prefers to spend most of his time at sea, handing over the running of the city to the joint control of Sabas Odabio, Pherias Jakar, and Tsojmin Kreidoros.
Kerdak is the son of a promiscuous pirate navigator and a nameless man whom she met in a tavern in Port Peril.
Bonefist's first mate and chief enforcer is Tsadok Goldtooth, whom he originally purchased from a fighting pit. He was responsible for granting Tsadok his last name, and Tsadok views him as his second father, the first man that treated him as a person since he was originally sold into slavery.
Bonefist's consort is the lamia matriarch Hyapatia, who often appears as an unassuming human woman on his arm. She originally approached him when disguised to seduce him and control him as her pet Hurricane King, and although he saw through her real identity, he played along with her schemes until both discovered their true feelings for each other. Hyapatia has refused all of Kerdak's offers to make her his official queen, preferring to remain in the shadows, ignored by the other Free Captains; only Tsadok Goldtooth knows of her true identity.
At a young age, Kerdak became cabin boy on the Rock Bottom under Captain Keelhaul Thurl, eventually becoming first mate. When the Rock Bottom ran into the Naiegoul, captained by the lich sorceress Raugsmauda, Thurl and most of the crew were slain, but Kerdak managed to slip into Raugsmauda's cabin. No one knows what transpired between them, but when Kerdak left the cabin, the Naiegoul vanished and Kerdak's right hand had become fleshless bone infused with necromantic energy. He renamed his ship the Filthy Lucre and took the name Kerdak Bonefist.
Kerdak Bonefist's wealth and prestige constantly grew due to his combination of piratical boldness, iron discipline, and efficiency. In order to prolong his life, Bonefist intercepted two doses of sun orchid elixir originally due for Ezaliah Thrune, earning him both Ezaliah's eternal hatred and the time he needed to amass power and allies. When his predecessor Skavender Pitch was killed, Bonefist seized power and became the next Hurricane King.
After 38 years of rule during which he seemed to have not aged at all, many Free Captains have speculated that his time ought to be over, and new blood is needed to revitalise the Shackles. Bonefist himself became bitter and paranoid that others might be plotting against him.
- Dennis Baker, Jesse Benner, John Compton, and Thurston Hillman. (2014). Inner Sea Combat, p. 6. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-598-3
- Amber E. Scott. (2012). Pirates of the Inner Sea, p. 14. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-405-4
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 171. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Rob McCreary. (2009). Ilizmagorti. Cities of Golarion, p. 28. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-200-5
- Mike Shel. (2012). Isles of the Shackles, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-408-5
- Jason Nelson. (2012). NPC Gallery. From Hell's Heart, p. 49. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-422-1
- Jason Nelson. (2012). NPC Gallery. From Hell's Heart, p. 51. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-422-1
- Jason Nelson and Rob McCreary. (2012). From Hell's Heart. From Hell's Heart, p. 36. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-422-1
- Jason Nelson and Rob McCreary. (2012). From Hell's Heart. From Hell's Heart, p. 7. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-422-1