Port Peril is the largest port in the Shackles and its de facto capital. It is situated on the mainland, rather than on one of the outlying islands, on the edge of the Terwa Uplands and overlooking Jeopardy Bay. The city is protected by walls, and the stronghold of Fort Hazard. All manner of vices can be found in its twisting streets, and its busy markets thrive on the sale of stolen goods. Rumour has it that the plunder from decades of piracy is hidden in sea caves beneath the city.2
Despite being the capital of the Shackles Pirates, merchant ships sometimes dock here to trade. Those flying the flags of Inner Sea region nations are not welcome, and gain no protection, but unaligned vessels are permitted to dock.34
The city is ruled by Captain Tessa Fairwind, the Hurricane Queen, lord of the Shackles Pirates.5 During the previous reign of Kerdak Bonefist, the affairs of the city were jointly overseen by Sabas Odabio, harbourmaster Tsojmin Kreidoros and master merchant Pherias Jakar.3
Though a pirate city is difficult to neatly compartmentalize, there are certain areas of the city of Port Peril that might classify as city districts:6
- Crescent Harbor
- Eastwind: High Eastwind & Low Eastwind
- The Knotworks
- Merchant Marina
Places of interest
The harbour is deep enough to accommodate even the largest and most heavily laden of vessels. Visitors to Port Peril are required to dock at the Crescent Harbor, which is overseen by surly harbour-master Tsojmin Kreidoros. There, their vessels have their cargoes inspected before they are allowed to continue on to the main docks.
The city's poorest (and often, toughest) inhabitants live in the Beggarbriar district. Many of them earn a living crafting ropes, sails and other nautical supplies.
Eastwind is another well-known district, and is home to both rich and poor. It is built on the bluffs overlooking the city, and is divided into Low and High Eastwind.
- See also: Category:Port Peril/Inhabitants
Humans, half-elves and half-orcs make up the majority of the city's inhabitants.3 Port Peril is also one of the main halfling settlements in the Inner Sea region. Here halfling pirates and brigadiers roam the seas freely, many having fought for their freedom from slavery from their previous owners. Halfling captains may offer halflings on captured ships the bloody choice: become slaves again or turn on their current masters and join the captain's crew as pirates with full rights and equality.7
Many adventurers make a pit stop in this bustling port before venturing into the Terwa Uplands in pursuit of legendary sites such as the Temple of the Ravenous Moon. Some even dare to explore the treacherous sea caves beneath the city, where it is rumored that vast fortunes in pirate gold lie hidden, waiting to be discovered.5
- Logan Bonner, Jason Bulmahn, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Mark Seifter, et al. (2020). Pathfinder Gamemastery Guide, p. 135. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-198-6
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). "The Inner Sea". The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 173. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Mike Shel. (2012). Isles of the Shackles, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-408-5
- John Compton et al. (2015). Heroes of the Streets, p. 7. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-769-7
- Tanya DePass, James Jacobs, Lyz Liddell, et al. (2019). "High Seas". World Guide, p. 67–68. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-172-6
- Liz Courts. (2012). Port Peril. Tempest Rising, p. 60ff. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-413-9
- Hal Maclean and Amber E. Scott. (2010). Halflings of Golarion, p. 15. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-278-4