|Titles||First Emperor, General, Grand Prince|
|Homeland|| Oppara, Taldor|
|Born||1 Abadius -1312 AR|
|Died||31 Kuthona -1144 AR (age 168)|
|Images of Taldaris|
Source: Taldor, the First Empire, pg(s). 7-8
(extraplanar, inevitable, lawful)
Source: The Reaper's Right Hand, pg(s). 60
Taldaris founded the Principalities of Taldaris, the seed of what is now known as Taldor, by uniting the local city-states along the eastern coast of the Inner Sea between -1293 AR and -1281 AR. He was subsequently crowned Taldor's first emperor (or Grand Prince as they are officially named) and ruled until his death on 31 Kuthona, -1144 AR. His soul lived on after judgment in Axis for over 1,000 years before his ultimate transformation into an impariut inevitable.
Taldan mythology tells of an infant Taldaris raised by wild lions on the Tandak Plains, where even as a youth he is said to have performed extraordinary tasks, such as beheading a threatening cockatrice with his bare hands. He was adopted by Opparan soldiers, who taught Taldaris discipline, oratory, and skill at arms from these warriors, and he eventually rose to the rank of captain.
His rapid rise won the praise of the childless grand prince of Oppara, who named Taldaris his heir upon his death. Some Taldan histories of Taldaris link his imperial coronation to his crowning as grand prince of Oppara, and cite the date as 13 Rova, -1295 AR.
Founding of Taldor
Using his tactical prowess, superior forces, and uncanny luck, Taldaris led his troops in a 12-year-long war of conquest beginning in -1293 AR that transformed his title in Oppara to a fledgling unified nation of city-states. He first attacked the larger cities along the Inner Sea coast that posed the greatest threat. Once he had secured their allegiance and resources, he turned his attention on the more distant settlements of the area. He then declared his new nation as the Principalities of Taldaris, ruling over an area that stretched along the coast from the southern Verduran Forest to the Jalrune River. During this period, Taldaris is also said to have faced and slain the grogrisant, a lion-like beast that had terrorized the city-states for centuries.
Reign and death
During his exceptionally long reign (-1295 to -1144 AR), the people under Taldaris' rule saw themselves as an empire united against the barbarism of the rest of the world. Taldan myths claim that his long life was unaided by the sun orchid elixir, and that he died after personally defeating Verksaris the Kingeater, a dragon that menaced Golsifar. The dragon's venom purportedly killed him three days after their battle, though not before Taldaris extracted gold from the dragon's gullet that legend holds was used to forge the Primogen Crown.
Afterlife and transformation
After his death, Taldaris was sent by Pharasma to Axis. As a petitioner, he regularly communicated with his successors for advice and blessings while making himself at home in Axis and getting elected as part of the ruling council of the district of Sayashto. However, he had difficulty leaving his mortal life behind until Aroden's ascension, after which the Taldans started to forget him; this freed his attentions and allowed him to solve the riddles inscribed on his petitioner body to earn entrance to the Adamantine Crucible and fully transform into an impariut inevitable.
As an impariut, Taldaris regularly visits the Material Plane to nurture kingdoms, mentor monarchs, and execute tyrants. He has gradually given away his mementos of Taldor's earliest years in confidence that his legacy will live on.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Mark Moreland. (2017). Taldor, the First Empire, p. 7-8. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-999-8
- Ron Lundeen, et al. (2018). The Twilight Child, p. inside rear cover. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-032-3 This story is written by an unreliable narrator and lists a coronation date as Taldan emperor in -1295 AR, predating other sources on Taldor's founding by 14 years. The NPC Guide article on Taldaris in The Reaper's Right Hand provides a timeline that aligns with him becoming grand prince of Oppara in -1295 AR and emperor upon Taldor's founding in -1281 AR, which maintains consistency with previous sources.
- John Compton. (2018). NPC Gallery. The Reaper's Right Hand, p. 60-61. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-045-3
- Mark Moreland. (2017). Taldor, the First Empire, p. 59. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-999-8
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 19. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1 This year is subsequently noted in timelines of Inner Sea World Guide, Inner Sea Races, Humans of Golarion, Qadira, Jewel of the East, et al., and indirectly inferred in Taldaris' NPC Guide article in The Reaper's Right Hand (beginning expansion in -1293 AR and ending 12 years later).