A fire elemental: a being of pure elemental energy.
In much of Golarion, people consider all matter to be composed of four basic elements, or forms of elemental energy, or elemental forces—air, earth, fire, and water. Elemental creatures are outsiders that are created from these elements and reside in one of the four Elemental Planes associated with each element:
Elements mix at the borders between Elemental Planes. The secondary elements formed at these planar points of friction can cause create elemental outsiders.
As well as the traditional four-element philosophy common in the Inner Sea region and mirrored in the Elemental Planes, there are others:
People of Minkai believe five elements exist: Earth, Fire, Void, Water, and Wind. Void energy forms from the friction between Elemental Planes and the Negative Energy Plane, with the Shojinawa manor serving as a focal point of this friction on Golarion.
People of the Successor States believe five elements exist: Earth, Fire, Metal, Water, and Wood. Wood energy forms from the friction between Elemental Planes and the First World.
People of Vudra believe five elements exist: Earth, Fire, Spirit, Water, and Wind.
Several magic users can harness elemental powers, particularly kineticists and elementalists.
An elemental augmentation is a type of wondrous item which permanently alters a portion of the recipient's body by infusing it with elemental energy. An augmented body part is forever altered; the elemental augmentation remains until the body part is removed, which can have some unfortunate side effects. Elemental augmentations come with some powerful advantages, but also carry some corresponding weaknesses, though these latter tend not to be too debilitating.
Paizo published a book about the Elemental Planes called Planes of Power that discusses the traditional four elements.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Tim Akers, Judy Bauer, Jim Groves, Chris Lites, Dale C. McCoy, Jr., and Cassidy Werner. (2014). Blood of the Elements, p. 4. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-654-6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Tim Akers, Judy Bauer, Jim Groves, Chris Lites, Dale C. McCoy, Jr., and Cassidy Werner. (2014). Blood of the Elements, p. 29. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-654-6
- ↑ Robert Brookes, Ben McFarland, Jason Nelson, and Mark Seifter. (2015). Occult Origins, p. 6. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-785-7
- ↑ Robert Brookes, Ben McFarland, Jason Nelson, and Mark Seifter. (2015). Occult Origins, p. 8. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-785-7
- ↑ Jason Bulmahn et al. (2015). Occult Adventures, p. 10. Paizo Inc.
- ↑ Jason Bulmahn. (2010). Advanced Player's Guide, p. 142-43. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-246-3
- ↑ John Compton, Eleanor Ferron, Mikko Kallio, Jason Keeley, Isabelle Lee, and Christopher Wasko. (2017). Elemental Master's Handbook, p. 24f. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-965-3