The Graidmere Swamp is a rank, mosquito-infested place of strange magic, gnarled trees, monuments entwined in vines, and the outcast and solitary among intelligent creatures. It is a constant of strangeness for the people of Karcau and its surrounding county, and thus shunned by most in the surrounding civilized regions.
It is home to a variety of misfits and swamp creatures:
- xenophobic human communities variously called 'swampers', 'leechfolk', or 'swampfolk'. They are generally a cross-breed of marsh-dwelling Kellids and Varisians
- criminals on the run
- followers of esoteric magic
- insane followers of the Old Cults, who see the Graidmere as a place where communication with their alien masters is made easier
- swamp creatures such as swamp pigs, sharp-eared vine cats, marsh snakes, giant bats, fungal crawlers, and gloomwings, who are also known to plague the surrounding farms.
The so-called ruler of the swamp is the great wyrm Serzilian, a black dragon who has lived there for over 800 years. Sleeping most of the time, she wakes only to demand sacrifice, but she also knows that something darker makes the swamp home, but has yet to find a method of summoning it in order to know exactly what.
Places of interest
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Rob Lazzaretti. (2011). Carrion Crown Poster Map Folio, Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-306-4
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2011). Rule of Fear, p. 24. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-301-9
- Mark Moreland. (2011). Carrion Crown Player's Guide, p. 6f. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2011). Rule of Fear, p. 56. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-301-9
- Logan Bonner, Jason Bulmahn, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Mark Seifter, et al. (2019). Pathfinder Bestiary (Second Edition), p. 105. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-170-2