|Demographics||14,950 humans, 350 dwarves, 220 elves, 120 other|
|Ruler||Prince Aduard Ordranti III|
|Leader||Countess Carmilla Caliphvaso, Diaudin, Luvick Siervage|
Source: Rule of Fear, pg(s). 40
A city made rich by trade from across Lake Encarthan, Caliphas has long been described as the very soul of Ustalav. Caliphas is Ustalav's largest city and has a tremendous impact on the surrounding lands, supporting most of the wineries and perfumeries that dot the County of Caliphas.
Since the relocation of Ustalav's capital from ancient Ardis to Caliphas, the city has been home to the Royal Court of Prince Aduard Ordranti III, a nest of power hungry merchants, treacherous nobles, and corrupt courtiers. An ancient rivalry has existed, seemingly since the earliest days of Ustalav's refounding, between the Royal House of Ordranti, and the rulers of Caliphas, House Caliphvaso. With the nation's capital moving some three decades ago, the two houses have now become close neighbours, only intensifying each side's subtle scheming to undermine and, perhaps, ultimately, destroy the other.
Nestled behind protective breakwaters that spare the city from the worst of Lake Encarthan's storms, the entrance to Caliphas is guarded by the Reaping Rock. Caliphas is frequently shrouded in lake mist, its fog lanterns barely cutting into the gloom that all too often engulfs the city. Caliphas is considered by many to embody the soul of Ustalav, which perhaps prompted the Eunuch Prince to move the nation's capital there from Ardis. To the east of the city, the Laurelight Hill (also the name of the district which sits atop it) overlooks Caliphas and serves as home to some of its wealthiest inhabitants.
Resting on the shores of Lake Encarthan allows Caliphas to take full advantage of that massive trade route, and Caliphas is consequently a rich—some might even say decadent—city. The city is also very cosmopolitan, a relative rarity in suspicious Ustalav; many travellers visit from foreign parts, and some never leave, their disappearance rarely noticed by the population.
Places of interest
- See also: Category:Caliphas (city)/Locations
Some of the most notable locations in the city include:
- Castle Stryithe
- The current Royal Palace of Ustalav and home of Royal Prince Aduard Ordranti III.
- Lethean Manor
- The ancestral seat of House Caliphvaso and current home of the notorious Countess Carmilla Caliphvaso.
- Quarterfaux Archives
- A highly respected and prestigious academy.
- Vodavani Lodge
- The meeting place for Pathfinder Society members within the region.
- Widow's Boudoir
- This brothel specializes in mixing murder with sexual fantasies. It is not uncommon for the staff to become victims of the bordello's horrors.
- A four panel poster map of Caliphas is included in Rob Lazzaretti. (2011). Carrion Crown Poster Map Folio, Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-306-4
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 141. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 190. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2011). Caliphas. Ashes at Dawn, p. 61. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-312-5
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2011). Rule of Fear, p. 41. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-301-9
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2011). Rule of Fear, p. 40. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-301-9
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 191. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2
- Brandon Hodge. (2011). Shadows of Gallowspire. Shadows of Gallowspire, p. 7. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-313-2
- Tim Hitchcock, Erik Mona, James L. Sutter, and Russ Taylor. (2009). Seekers of Secrets: A Guide to the Pathfinder Society, p. 15. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-178-7
- Tim Hitchcock. (2010). Stolen Land. Stolen Land, p. 44. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-229-6