|Region||Archduchy of Sirmium|
|Demographics||3,450 Gnomes, 50 other|
Source: Cheliax, The Infernal Empire, pg(s). 13-14
Brastlewark is an almost exclusively gnomish city in eastern Cheliax, located on the western edge of the Aspodell Mountains, at the head of the Brastle River. It is believed to be the largest gnome settlement in the Inner Sea region, perhaps even in the entire world.
The city has a proportionately large population of bards, wizards, alchemists and artists, and the gnomish need for new experiences guarantees that the look of Brastlewark undergoes constant modification. House Thrune tolerates these architectural changes, although it is rumoured that Chelish agents are sent routinely to measure modifications to the town and discover how much influence foreign enemies (specifically Andoran) have exerted over the area. Because of this focus on design and architecture, Brastlewark's architects and engineers are particularly well-known, and often possess a distinct ability to incorporate disparate elements into innovative new designs.
Brastlewark is easily one of the most architecturally idiosyncratic and unusual settlements in otherwise dour Cheliax. It is a confusing hodge-podge of various styles and design concepts with its crooked streets, unexpected dead ends, and outlandishly shaped public parks. Most of the buildings look like they are on the verge of collapse, with clashing additional floors and annexes stacked next to and on top of one another, but most are actually quite structurally sound. A few times a year, however, an ambitious gnome hoping to outclass his neighbors in building height or extravagance, pushes the boundaries too far, and causes his and neighboring structures to come crashing down.
The city provides one of Cheliax's first defenses against any aggression from the east. It sits on the northern edge of the only easy land route between Cheliax and Andoran. To help better protect their country, the gnomes of Brastlewark are helping to build a wall between the Aspodells down to Aspo Bay, the so-called Aspodean Wall.
Brastlewark is known as a center of design and industry, focusing specifically on the creation of alchemical items and material spell components, and clockwork. The creation and procurement of spell components is a particular focus of the city's residents, and its traders export them all over Avistan and Garund.
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 69. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- Jonathan H. Keith, Colin McComb, Steven E. Schend, Leandra Christine Schneider, and Amber E. Scott. (2009). Cheliax, Empire of Devils, p. 11. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-191-6
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 70-71. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- Colin McComb et al. (2010). Gnomes of Golarion, p. 10. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-223-4
- Colin McComb et al. (2010). Gnomes of Golarion, p. 17. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-223-4
- Jonathan H. Keith, Colin McComb, Steven E. Schend, Leandra Christine Schneider, and Amber E. Scott. (2009). Cheliax, Empire of Devils, p. 12. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-191-6
- Colin McComb et al. (2010). Gnomes of Golarion, p. 15. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-223-4
- Kevin Andrew Murphy. (2010). "The Secret of the Rose and Glove", ch. 3. Paizo Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60125-351-4
- James Jacobs et al. (2011). The Inner Sea World Guide, p. 56. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-269-2