The Whisperwood is unofficially separated into five regions.
|This section is a stub. You can help us by .|
The Scar Thicket
The wood has a dark, tangled heart—a place where precious little sunlight filters through primeval growth. Known as the Scar Thicket, this undergrowth-choked region is home to huge colonies of monstrous bats, vicious insects, and deformed animals. Youths in the area grow up learning to deal with evil outsiders, and the inhabitants are quite skilled at leading hunts for them. At the center of the thicket, huge mushrooms and other deformed fungi dominate the landscape, providing a home for a rare tribe of surface-adapted vegepygmies. Twisted tunnels lie beneath them, reaching down into Nar-Voth and connecting it to the Midnight Jungle.
It is rumored that an unclosed portal to Hell can be found in the woods. Paladins of Iomedae have vanished and several paralictors of the Order of the Gate have lost their entire commands while searching the area. The Order of the Pike runs active patrols along the western edge of the forest to hunt down any creatures that emerge from the woods. A reward has been posted to enlist the help of bounty hunters and adventurers by Master of Blades Tolsis Tuvadorn in Senara. It remains a mystery why the Hell-aligned House of Thrune would want such a gate closed.
Striking a deal with House Thrune of Cheliax, the great wyrm Athervox maintains an observatory in the woods, near Senara. After years of instructing a small, pre-agreed group of apprentices, the green dragon was betrayed and robbed, losing many volumes of her notes. Still furious, the normally scholarly dragon now plots her vengeance.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Erik Mona et al. (2008). Campaign Setting, p. 69. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-112-1
- Patrick Renie. (2016). "The Inferno Gate". The Inferno Gate, p. 25ff. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-827-4
- Jonathan H. Keith, Colin McComb, Steven E. Schend, Leandra Christine Schneider, and Amber E. Scott. (2009). Cheliax, Empire of Devils, p. 11. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-191-6
- James Jacobs and Greg A. Vaughan. (2008). Into the Darklands, p. 6–8. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-140-4
- Logan Bonner, Jason Bulmahn, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Mark Seifter, et al. (2019). Bestiary (Second Edition), p. 109. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-170-2