Source: Ultimate Equipment, pg(s). 94ff.
From Luglurch Ale to Irrisen Icewine, Golarion is home to many different alcoholic beverages. Besides the usual fare, more exotic spirits such as the serpentfolk's Bloodwine and the Bramble-Sick Brandy (brewed by bugbears) may be obtained by adventurous tipplers.
In festivals and holidays
Ale, beer, cider, mead and other similar strength brews
Ales are a popular drink, tending toward light brews with crisp, spicy flavors and subtle, bitter finishes. Brewers from the Inner Sea region use coriander and orange peel to avoid the malts and yeasty flavors common to other regions.
Applejack is a particularly strong cider where the alcohol is concentrated using a process of freezing the cider in the winter and then removing the ice from it.
Brow Brew is an oddity of beers, being produced primarily from grapes harvested from the vineyard of the Numerian town of Iadenveigh. The tough grapes are practically inedible, but are fermented with a particular yeast, grain and wood mushrooms to make a distinctive and rough beer considered an 'acquired taste' by visitors to the town.
This disgusting concoction is made by adding toxin from a poisonous toad or frog to beer. The poison is inserted in different ways, such as soaking the amphibian in the ale, soaking its eggs in the ale or milking the poison from the amphibian and then mixing it in. Bufo is not consumed in civilized societies, but goblins, boggards and other primitive humanoids lap it up, sometimes eating the amphibian as a bonus at the end of their drink.
Cheerful Delver Stout
Dwarven Magic Ale
Dwarves have an ancient heritage of brewing strong ales since before the Quest for Sky. The potent liquors brewed in those early times with ingredients from the Darklands are approximated today by blending exotic ingredients with traditional grains and hops. In some cases, these special dwarven brews begin to take on characteristics akin to magic potions, though still crafted using alchemical methods; these are the dwarven magic ales, including:
Boulderhead Bock is a malty ale known for a thick and creamy froth. The additional effect of this brew is to numb pain.
By repeatedly partially freezing this brew and removing the ice, the alcoholic content of Icecap Ale is forced up to ten times that of normal ale. This ale additionally boosts the strength and fortitude of the drinker but at a price of fatigue and memory loss greater than for a normal hangover.
Longbeard Lambic is an ancient recipe that can pull a drinker out of fatigue and fear.
Wyrm's Breath Bitter
Dwarven stouts come in many varieties but are essentially dark beers fermented in dwarven societies but often found in other civilized lands nearby. Recipes are fiercely guarded within clans and there is much competition amongst dwarves for producing the best beer.
Fort Indros Ale
Hardroot cider is known for being particularly dry.
A salty, frothy, and pale beer, most races consider it too salty. At 4sp a mug, or 1 gp a gallon, it is not the cheapest beer in the tavern.
Sake, or Rice Wine
Sake is a strong alcoholic beverage brewed in a similar process to brewing beer; despite its manufacturing process, it is sometimes confusingly called rice wine outside Tian Xia. It is made in Tian Xia, particularly in Minkai. Sake may be aged, like wine, which increases its value. It is very rare to find sake in the Inner Sea region, though some is imported from Minkai.
Tepache is a low-alcohol brew, found in tropical climes, that is made from beer, pineapple, sugar and cinnamon; sometimes other tropical fruits are used in place of the pineapple. The mixture is fermented together and the resulting brew is served cold with chilli powder.
Three Devil Ale
Two Knight Brewery Ale & Mead
Wine, Fortified Wine & Viniculture
Wine is the drink of choice around the Inner Sea, where grapes are a common plant. Even cheaper establishments are sometimes expected to serve a complimentary cup of wine—often a strong or coarse vintage diluted by water—although rough wines like that are not served at more esteemed places, especially considering the region's saturation with exceptional wines from Taldor and Cheliax. Honey wine is a common wine enjoyed by almost everyone, but the most decadent of all is bubble wine, especially the original "Carpenden".
Alkenstar Ice Wine
Made from the blood of sentient creatures (Usually drow, duergar, or svirfneblin, but particularly rare vintages include morlock) and spiced with subterranean additives such as brain mold spores, this is a favorite of serpentfolk. It affects the snake-men as normal wine does humans, and is poisonous to most creatures. These drinks cost 100 gp.
Bubble wines are fermented with yeast and sugar. The original bubble wine was produced near Carpenden Hill in Andoran and is simply called "Carpenden." The vineyards were destroyed in the revolution, and Carpenden wine is very rare, even priceless to some. Still, Taldan wineries have their own varieties that taste close to the original, even if never quite as good.
Wine is produced in Druma and one of the more famous estates is owned by Kalistocrat Amynta Irel and located 15 miles west of Kerse. A particularly fine, and appropriately priced, example from the estate is called Encarthan Gold, named after the nearby Lake Encarthan. Even more expensive than Encarthan Gold, bottles of Encarthan Fishgold Rose are named after the unique red-coloured gold found only in the depths of Lake Encarthan.
Elven wine is very fine in quality and sweet in taste; it may even exceed a fine Galtan vintage wine in quality (see below). The alcoholic potency of the wine is often unrealized by those drinking it until much later. Elves of Kyonin also create subtle wines made from berries. Midsummer wine is made by the elves of Kyonin to celebrate the summer festival. It is a delicate white wine yet has a pleasing length.
This wine may be aged to improve its quality and can be worth many gold pieces per bottle.
Galtan wine can be very fine and smooth on the palate, though the revolutionary nature of the country currently makes wine making very difficult. Quality is sufficient enough that vintage wines may be made to lay down; these vintage wines may be sweet.
Extraction of the sap of palm trees may be performed by tapping the trees' trunks and this sap may then be fermented into palm wine. Sometimes, this palm wine may be distilled into a stronger drink called lagmi.
Please see Sake above in the 'Ale, Beer, Cider, Mead and Other Similar Strength Brews' section
Sangwine is a dark red wine that smells of cedar and tastes of tannin and cocoa that retails at around 200 gold pieces for a bottle or close to 240 platinum pieces for a case. The wine is a favorite among the elite of Caliphas. The blood of someone who has recently drunk sangwine is embittered and it sickens creatures who feed on such blood, such as vampires.
Sealord wine is a generic term for wines, red and white, grown in coastal vineyards. The distinctive taste is favoured by nobles.
Stone Giant Wine
Whiterose Abbey Wine
The monks of Whiterose Abbey used to be expert vintners (and brewers) blessed by Cayden Cailean such that their products gained in flavour and alcoholic strength. The abbey is found close to Mount Branthlend in the River Kingdoms. Wines known to have been produced include fine Whiterose chardonnay worth a fortune if sold today.
Wine of concordance
Brandy is made by distilling wine and is known in the following types.
Collected by connoisseurs, this strong alcohol is made in Taldor.
Ustalavic brandy may be very fine indeed.
Please see Rum (or grog) below.
Please see Palm Wine above.
Poitin is a potent potato liquor favored by leprechauns. The drink has magical properties, allowing mortals to see fey and other denizens of the First World free of illusions and plainly visible for an hour after drinking. This inevitably attracts the ire of hostile fey, much to the leprechauns' delight. It is also exceptionally strong, and those who drink of it rarely remember their experiences.
Rum (or grog)
Rum is doled out on board many ships, sometimes diluted with water to make 'grog'. On many ships, the rum or grog ration is enforced and penalties are suffered for defaulting. Sometimes lemon or lime juice is added to the grog to prevent scurvy and to make the sometimes disgusting concoction more palatable. When rum is unavailable, grogs may be made by mixing whatever alcohol is available; even though it may be unpalatable, if it is all that is available, it will be drunk on board ship.
Fire in the hole
This is the house rum at the Formidably Maid that is frighteningly strong. A keg is worth about 75 gp.
Spiced rum (or spiced grog)
Two Knight Brewery rum
This strong rum is made at the Two Knight Brewery in the Varisian town of Sandpoint.
Whisky / Whiskey
Black Hill Whiskey
Chelaxian Pepper Whiskey / Chelish Pepper Whisky
Dragon Punch Whiskey
Fish Oil Whiskey
Old Erebus is a cheap whiskey sold in brown bottles that is made in southern Cheliax.
This variety of whiskey is a single-malt variety that has been made for nearly two hundred years targeted at the soldier community.
Damsel in Distress
White Wine and pomegranate juice. This drink costs 6 sp each.
Dark and Stormy
Costing 2 sp, this cocktail is made from ginger beer, dark rum, and a slice of lime.
Assorted fruits mixed with rum. Common in port towns that receive large varieties of fruit, where bruised fruits can often be obtained at lowered prices.
Half a Doubloon
Made by mixing dark rum, orange liqueur, and apple juice. In Ilizmagorti this drink costs 5 sp.
A drink sold to visitors to Ilizmagorti, this drink is made with absinthe and fruit. The absinthe and strong alcohol make the visitor a easy target for locals. Because of this, it costs 1 gp.
Kiss of the Mantis
Lisken's Medicinal Tonic
Lisken's Medicinal Tonic is normally used as a relief for insomnia or as a gentle sedative but, for 10 gp per cup, halflings will purchase this alcoholic drink to slow and quieten themselves down in a more pronounced fashion; it has no such strong effect on other races.
This strong cocktail is served warm and contains rum, wine, ale, eggs, sugar and spices.
Herb liqueur mixed with whiskey and honey from Ilizmagorti. A rusty cutlass costs 8 cp.
Spiked Mint Tea
Teht's Love Potion
Made of cranberry and grapefruit juices, pomegranate extract, juniper gin, and a secret ingredient, this drink is said to improve its imbiber's chances for love when paired with a kiss of the lips on the mostly buried Whispering Stone statue in Wati. It is named for the tavern's owner, Teht Blackblossom.
Three Salts and a Dog
A drink served in a glass with a salted rim, a three salts and a dog consists of Whiskey, brandy, tequila, rum and costs 4 sp.
Served similarly to three salts and a dog, a three sheets is made by mixing at least three different types of rum and costs 6 cp.
Costing a silver piece, a whore's breakfast is a mug of ale with a shot of rum dropped in it. This is topped off with a tomato wedge garnish.
For additional resources, see the Meta page.
- Colin McComb. (2011). Faiths of Purity, p. 4f. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-314-9
- John Compton, Crystal Frasier, Ron Lundeen, and Amber Stewart. (2019). Concordance of Rivals, p. 8. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-127-6
- Kate Baker, Eleanor Ferron, Nathan King, Lyz Liddell, Luis Loza, Alex Putnam, Alex Riggs, and David Schwartz. (2017). Potions & Poisons, p. 22. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-000-2
- James Jacobs. (February 6, 2012). Toasting Merrymead with Two New Venture-Captains, Paizo Blog.
- Matt Goodall et al. (2014). Plunder & Peril, p. 7. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-680-5
- Rigby Bendele et al. (2022). Travel Guide, p. 39. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-465-9
- Tim Pratt. (2014). Reign of Stars, p. 65/67. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-660-7
- Jason Bulmahn et al. (2012). Ultimate Equipment, p. 94. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-390-3
- Lucien Soulban. (2011–2012). "Fingers of Death—No, Doom!", ch. 1. Paizo Publishing.
- Keith Baker. (2009). Blood of Dragonscar, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-170-1
- Kate Baker, Eleanor Ferron, Michelle Jones, Jason Keeley, Luis Loza, Jacob W. Michaels, Joe Pasini, and David N. Ross. (2018). Inner Sea Taverns, p. 4. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-016-3
- Ron Lundeen. (2014). Iadenveigh. The Choking Tower, p. 65. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-688-1
- Greg A. Vaughan. (2010). The Varnhold Vanishing. The Varnhold Vanishing, p. 22. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-234-0
- Jason Nelson, Patrick Renie, and David N. Ross. (2014). Alchemy Manual, p. 12f. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-605-8
- Jason Nelson, Patrick Renie, and David N. Ross. (2014). Alchemy Manual, p. 13. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-605-8
- Robin D. Laws. (2012). Blood of the City, p. 23. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-456-6
- Neal F. Litherland. (2013). "The Irregulars", Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-631-7
- Amber E. Scott. (2014). Seeing Different Horizons. The Slave Trenches of Hakotep, p. 76. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-592-1
- Jason Bulmahn et al. (2012). Ultimate Equipment, p. 96. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-390-3
- Michael Kortes. (2011). Ravengro. The Haunting of Harrowstone, p. 61. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-308-8
- Hal Maclean and Amber E. Scott. (2010). Halflings of Golarion, p. 10. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-278-4
- Neil Spicer. (2010). Realm of the Fellnight Queen, p. 11. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-224-1
- Jason Bulmahn et al. (2012). Ultimate Equipment, p. 97. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-390-3
- Adam Heine. (2015). "The Patch Man", Paizo Inc.
- Neil Spicer. (2014). Torch. Fires of Creation, p. 64. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-673-7
- Greg A. Vaughan. (2011). Night of Frozen Shadows. Night of Frozen Shadows, p. 44. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-366-8
- Greg A. Vaughan. (2011). Night of Frozen Shadows. Night of Frozen Shadows, p. 50. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-366-8
- Mike Ferguson. (2010). Pitax. Guide to the River Kingdoms, p. 40. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-203-6
- Stephen S. Greer & Amber E. Scott. (2009). Dark Markets: A Guide to Katapesh, p. 32. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-166-4
- Rob McCreary. (2013). Heldren. The Snows of Summer, p. 64. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-492-4
- James Jacobs. (2007). Sandpoint. Burnt Offerings, p. 69. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-035-3
- Jim Zub. (2012). "Dark Waters Rising" Chapter 1. Pathfinder, Volume 1 #1, p. 7. Dynamite Entertainment.
- Jim Zub. (2014). "City of Secrets" Chapter 2. Pathfinder:City of Secrets, Volume 1 #2, p. 12. Dynamite Entertainment.
- John Ling et al. (2013). Magical Marketplace, p. 22. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-600-3
- Mariam Ahmad, et al. (2022). Impossible Lands, p. 106. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-480-2
- Stephanie Lorée. (2014). "Armored", Paizo Inc.
- Graeme Davis and Rob McCreary. (2011). The Thousand Fangs Below. The Thousand Fangs Below, p. 42. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-276-0
- Dave Gross. (2012). Queen of Thorns, p. 80. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-463-4
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2016). "The Hellfire Compact". The Hellfire Compact, p. 14. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-818-2
- Tim Pratt. (2015). Liar's Island, Tor Books. ISBN 978-0-7653-7452-3
- Jenny Jarzabski. (2018). In the Grandmaster's Name, p. 5. Paizo Inc.
- Jenny Jarzabski. (2018). In the Grandmaster's Name, p. 14. Paizo Inc.
- Howard Andrew Jones. (2011). Plague of Shadows, p. 198. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-291-3
- Neil Spicer. (2010). Blood for Blood. Blood for Blood, p. 39. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-251-7
- Dave Gross. (2012). Queen of Thorns, p. 13. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-463-4
- Brandon Hodge. (2011). Feast of Ravenmoor, p. 19. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-367-5
- Howard Andrew Jones. (2011). Plague of Shadows, p. 154. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-291-3
- Mike Shel. (2012). Isles of the Shackles, p. 7. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-408-5
- Rob McCreary. (2009). Ilizmagorti. Cities of Golarion, p. 32. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-200-5
- Rob McCreary. (2013). Waldsby. The Snows of Summer, p. 68. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-492-4
- Richard Pett. (2014). Tephu, City of the Reed People. Shifting Sands, p. 63. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-590-7
- Kevin Andrew Murphy. (2012). "Thieves Vinegar", ch. 3. Paizo Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60125-642-3
- John Compton, et al. (2018). Merchant's Manifest, p. 8. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-026-2
- Elaine Cunningham, Steve Kenson, China Miéville, and Chris Pramas, et al. (2010). Guide to the River Kingdoms, p. 39, 40. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-203-6
- Mike Ferguson. (2010). Pitax. War of the River Kings, p. 63. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-252-4
- Hal Maclean, Colin Moulder-McComb, Jason Nelson, Jonathan Keith, and Hank Woon. (2010). Andoran, Spirit of Liberty, p. 21. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-205-0
- Russ Taylor. (2012). Stone Giant. Giants Revisited, p. 47. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-412-2
- Robin D. Laws. (2012). Blood of the City, p. 30. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-456-6
- Neil Spicer. (2011). Ashes at Dawn. Ashes at Dawn, p. 42, 46. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-312-5
- Jason Nelson. (2010). War of the River Kings. War of the River Kings, p. 29, 35, 48. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-252-4
- Chris Willrich. (2014). "The Cloak of Belonging", Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Ron Lundeen. (2016). Hell Comes to Westcrown. Hell Comes to Westcrown, p. 35. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-851-9
- Rigby Bendele et al. (2022). Travel Guide, p. 43. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-465-9
- Hugh Matthews. (2012). "Krunzle the Quick", ch. 1. Paizo Publishing.
- Mike Shel. (2012). Isles of the Shackles, p. 19. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-408-5
- Jason Bulmahn. (2007). The Journey Begins (Pathfinder's Journal). The Skinsaw Murders, p. 79. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-037-7
- Nicolas Logue. (2008). Bugbear. Classic Monsters Revisited, p. 5. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-079-7
- Chris A. Jackson. (2013). "Stargazer", Paizo Publishing.
- Tim Hitchcock. (2011). Broken Moon. Broken Moon, p. 22. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-310-1
- Jim Zub. (2014). "City of Secrets" Chapter 3. Pathfinder:City of Secrets, Volume 1 #3, p. 22. Dynamite Entertainment.
- Gin, Wikipedia.
- Mark Moreland. (2017). Taldor, the First Empire, p. 58. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-999-8
- Crystal Frasier and Richard Pett. (2018). Songbird, Scion, Saboteur. Songbird, Scion, Saboteur, p. 35. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-64078-025-5
- Tineke Bolleman. (2019). Trailblazer's Bounty, p. 19. Paizo Inc.
- Chris A. Jackson. (2013). Pirate's Honor, p. 244. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-523-5
- Brian Duckwitz. (2016). Dead Man's Debt, p. 8. Paizo Inc.
- Dave Gross. (2011). "A Lesson in Taxonomy", ch. 1. Paizo Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60125-394-1
- Matt Goodall. (2011). Cult of the Ebon Destroyers, p. 16. Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Amanda Hamon et al. (2013). Fey Revisited, p. 19–20. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-507-5
- Jesse Benner, Richard Pett, F. Wesley Schneider. (2012). The Life of a Pirate. The Wormwood Mutiny, p. 64. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-404-7
- Amber E. Scott. (2012). Pirates of the Inner Sea, p. 20. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-405-4
- Jason Bulmahn et al. (2012). Ultimate Equipment, p. 95. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-390-3
- Kate Baker, Eleanor Ferron, Michelle Jones, Jason Keeley, Luis Loza, Jacob W. Michaels, Joe Pasini, and David N. Ross. (2018). Inner Sea Taverns, p. 14. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-016-3
- Chris A. Jackson. (2013). "Stargazer", Paizo Publishing.
- Chris A. Jackson. (2013). Pirate's Honor, p. 318. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-523-5
- Mike Shel. (2013). Irrisen, Land of Eternal Winter, p. 43. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-486-3
- Mike McArtor. (2008). Guide to Korvosa, p. 29. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-078-0
- Chris A. Jackson. (2013). "Stargazer", Paizo Publishing.
- Chris Willrich. (2014). "The Cloak of Belonging", Paizo Publishing, LLC.
- Greg A. Vaughan. (2011). NPC Gallery. Night of Frozen Shadows, p. 58. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-366-8
- F. Wesley Schneider. (2016). "The Hellfire Compact". The Hellfire Compact, p. 11. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-60125-818-2
- Matthew Goodall. (2011). Kalsgard. Night of Frozen Shadows, p. 63. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-366-8
- Colin McComb et al. (2010). Gnomes of Golarion, p. 19. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-223-4
- Elaine Cunningham, with Dave Gross. (2010). Winter Witch, p. Chapter 1. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-286-9
- Kate Baker, Eleanor Ferron, Michelle Jones, Jason Keeley, Luis Loza, Jacob W. Michaels, Joe Pasini, and David N. Ross. (2018). Inner Sea Taverns, p. 38–39. Paizo Inc. ISBN 978-1-64078-016-3